Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 01:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
January Thaw (Braeside Islands)
Lens: 240mm Camera: Pentax K200d Photo Location: home ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F9.5 

Another one in a series of shots from my front door of the Braeside islands (Sigma 70-300 APO). Yesterday was our January thaw with temps reaching 8 deg. C and a lot of the snow disappeared leaving a lot of water on the lake. As the air cleared it produced some amazing mist amongst the islands and surrounding landscape. I cropped out a section and went for the "Fuji Velvia" film look from the Phototools 2.5 plugin.

Cheers

Attached Images

Last edited by valleylad; 01-26-2010 at 02:22 PM.
01-26-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
juu
Veteran Member

I like the layers in the picture.

I wish it would have more space on top as that crop is a bit tight.

The fog on the lake and the fog on top is fine, but the one in the middle-left detracts for me from the picture, as it feels as if the lens is dirty (although I think it is just fog).

Overall the picture has perhaps too much of a feeling of being a small crop from a big picture, with some loss in resolution/contrast from the long focal length and that.
01-26-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
Damn Brit

The framing is a bit tight but nevertheless, the picture still carries an impression of vastness which is good. The feeling of tight framing can actually be alleviated a little by cropping a little from the top to get rid of the partial tree line that is there.
The colours are good, there's not much going on in the scene but it still manages to generate a mood that goes along with the impression of vastness I mentioned above.

Levels do need a bit of a boost, it's just a little flatter than it needs to be (but that may be a consequence of resizing for the forum).