Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
On the river
Lens: 18 mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Beloeil, Québec, Canada ISO: 200 Aperture: F11 

This is a photo I took this weekend. I was on the river to take the shot. I would like some comments on this photo.

Thanks.

01-26-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It is a bit centered compositionally but I guess that couldn't be helped because you needed to get that church in. Only you know what was either side to decide whether you could compose it differently. Rule of thirds is about right.

Exposure is nice and clean although if it were mine, I'd try and take some of the blue out of the shadows in the foreground.

One thing I would say is that everyone takes their pictures standing up straight so this kind of shot becomes a snapshot because 99 out of a hundred would take that picture the same way. The saving grace of this particular shot is the shadows and footprints in the foreground giving some contrast and depth, without them all that whiteness would make the picture look one dimensional. Always take shots from different perspectives, that makes you the one person out of a hundred who takes a different picture than anyone else. In this case for example, you could have got on the ground and shot across the snow (if the ground is too cold/wet, get your boyfriend/husband to lay down and use him as a mattress).
Look at the objective as taking ten shots to get the best shot as opposed to trying to get the best shot every time.
01-26-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Gary. I really appreciate that you take time to comment my photo. I have to say that I really like the mattress idea . I will try a different angle next time.
01-26-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by miss_alexx Quote
Thanks Gary. I really appreciate that you take time to comment my photo. I have to say that I really like the mattress idea . I will try a different angle next time.
Try several, angles I mean, not mattresses.

You know what? Clouds in the sky make such a huge difference in shots like these. Blank skies are our enemy if you can't generate enough interest below them.

01-26-2010, 06:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I agree blank skies are not very interesting... Here in winter, it's rare to see beautiful clouds in the sky... it's always a gray or blue blank sky. I was lucky it was blue!