Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-26-2010, 07:34 PM   #1

James River Factories
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: ist DL Photo Location: Lynchburg VA ISO: 100 

I like the shot, but would love comments on how to make it better. Thanks.

Attached Images

01-26-2010, 07:54 PM   #2
Damn Brit

There's a bit of a lack of contrast here and the subject doesn't really stand out enough. It also has to compete with the bright patch of sky in the right hand corner.
I think you needed to be closer with this one because there isn't really any interest in the foreground which makes the whole picture a little one dimensional.
Looks like an interesting subject to photograph so go back if you can.
01-27-2010, 04:46 AM   #3

Original Poster
I appreciate a man (or woman) who tells it like it is. I just want to learn more and the folks here have really made me start thinking more about how I take photo's and what I do with them afterwards. I'm hoping that one day I'll "wow" Damn Brit or Ash.........or anyone else. Thanks all.......
01-27-2010, 05:19 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
This image looks like a perfect image to practice B&W conversion techniques. The tutorial linked belwo offers a couple of techniques worth trying. After you get a better converion, then you can play around with cropping to see what would have been more effective when you shot the image.

Methods of Black and White Conversion - Tutorials

This image might not ever hang on your wall but it can provide a great opportunity to learn.

Tim

01-27-2010, 10:38 AM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Gene Temple Quote
I appreciate a man (or woman) who tells it like it is. I just want to learn more and the folks here have really made me start thinking more about how I take photo's and what I do with them afterwards. I'm hoping that one day I'll "wow" Damn Brit or Ash.........or anyone else. Thanks all.......
Ash is off doing his duty at sea for a few months so you'll have to just put up with me in the meantime.
Get in and do some critiquing yourself Gene, it really does help with your own pictures.
There are some basic guidelines here - https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/86356-example-guidelines-critiquing.html

Last edited by Damn Brit; 01-27-2010 at 02:25 PM.
01-27-2010, 07:35 PM   #6

Original Poster
We have a snowstorm coming in this weekend, so I may not get my early Saturday morning walkabout to retake this one. But I totally agree after looking at it objectively.

On critiques......I didn't know or think I was qualified to make such assertions. However I can see the benefit of studying the image and understanding the elements within. The mechanics of pp are something I'm still learning and digital photography is this "matrix" of info that I have only stepped my big toe in. But if you think its a good idea, I'm game.

Thanks again,
Gene
01-27-2010, 10:01 PM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by Gene Temple Quote
But if you think its a good idea, I'm game.

Thanks again,
Gene
It's well understood that critiquing others work helps your own. Think about it, you have an emotional attachment to your own. Sometimes you like a picture for a personal reason which had nothing to do with the technicalities or aesthetics and it's impossible to get beyond the reason you do like it. In the same vein you can dislike a good picture for personal reasons and not realise how good it is. With someone else's picture, you get beyond the emotional attachment and enable yourself to see what's right/wrong, good/bad about a picture. Critiquing is subjective as well so you can't really be wrong but at the same time you can measure your own critique against critique from someone else and change your mind because that other person has shown you another way of seeing that particular picture.

Sorry to be long winded but I have had a hard time in class because people have been frightened to critique and it just made things tougher for me because it was so one sided. Also it's because I know how beneficial it is to people once they get started.