Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-31-2010, 06:57 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
old Coins
Lens: abt. 35 Camera: Pentax ZX30 Photo Location: bedroom ISO: 400 

Taken with my $5.00 garage sale- ZX30 and my old Pentax F-28-80 zoom lens. Kodak 400 iso film and the zoom was at about 35mm. Had a floor lamp on the right side and a flashlight for a bit of light on the left.

Used the "green" setting on the camera, and took about a dozen shots at slightly different angles and distances from the jar. Scanned from the print, and slightly cropped.

These are just some of the old coins I have found while metal detecting, over the past 40 years, put in a old glass canning jar for a neat looking way to display the coins.

Attached Images

02-03-2010, 12:54 PM   #2

You need to use lights with the same hue (temperature), I'm guessing the floor lamp had a modern energy-savings bulb in it, they often have a greenish color.

Alternatively, use one light and a reflector... (and probably a lot longer exposure)
02-03-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tcdk Quote
You need to use lights with the same hue (temperature), I'm guessing the floor lamp had a modern energy-savings bulb in it, they often have a greenish color.

Alternatively, use one light and a reflector... (and probably a lot longer exposure)
The floor lamp does have one of those energy bulbs in it.

Except for the greenish coloring and the bright glare spots on the glass, that is the look I wanted.

Thanks for the comment.
02-04-2010, 05:47 AM   #4

Okay - for less obvious reflections, you need larger light sources. Find a big piece of thin white paper and light through that. Place it as close the the glass as possible.

(Light, Science and magic, is the book on how to shoot stuff like this)

« 'Eyes' | Too Much? »