Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 01:45 AM   #1

The Boys.

I'm really liking this 55-200. Let me have it

Last edited by Digital Dustin; 02-01-2010 at 01:55 AM.
02-01-2010, 01:50 AM   #2
Damn Brit

In the first one you should have your subject over to the right of the frame so there is no space behind his head. It's cropped on his shoulder in a distracting way. colours work well together though.
Second one works compositionally but WB is off.
Third one there is too much space at the top of the frame and the watch and hand is cut in half. You could have moved the baby's head over to the right to include more of the hands.
02-01-2010, 01:54 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
In the first one you should have your subject over to the right of the frame so there is no space behind his head. It's cropped on his shoulder in a distracting way. colours work well together though.
Second one works compositionally but WB is off.
Third one there is too much space at the top of the frame and the watch is cut in half.
awesome dude, I am learning a lot from your critique alone lol.

What is the best way to know what WB setting to use? I have it on auto but thats obviously not working.
02-01-2010, 02:01 AM   #4
Damn Brit

AWB works fine for the majority of cases with natural light. In the house you need to set the WB according to what kind of lighting you have.
For example, take that second picture with AWB then use the Fn button and flick through the various settings to get the one that looks best (the picture you have just taken will appear on the LCD and will change as you go through the WB settings). If none of them are satisfactory, play around with Custom WB.

02-01-2010, 02:05 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
AWB works fine for the majority of cases with natural light. In the house you need to set the WB according to what kind of lighting you have.
For example, take that second picture with AWB then use the Fn button and flick through the various settings to get the one that looks best (the picture you have just taken will appear on the LCD and will change as you go through the WB settings). If none of them are satisfactory, play around with Custom WB.
thanx, I'll try that.
02-01-2010, 02:12 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Just remember, you don't always want it to look the same as real life. For example, that second shot could have had that yellow cast because of the ambient lighting. The person looking at the picture won't know that so you adjust the WB to make it look more generically natural (unless you really want that colour cast).
02-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with DB's comments above.

Also, remember that if you shoot in RAW, then the WB setting doesn't matter (the WB setting just becomes the default for the preview). On your computer, you can change the WB to anything, which is a very flexible feature of RAW capture. I rarely even worry about WB settings any more and just leave it on Auto WB and fix in PP if necessary.

02-03-2010, 12:30 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by Digital Dustin Quote
What is the best way to know what WB setting to use? I have it on auto but thats obviously not working.
If you are in raw (or don't mind the quality loss from jpg) and you are in a tool that with a WB picker, you can actually get really close by using the white in his eye!

Just tried in lightroom - hope you don't mind.
Attached Images

02-04-2010, 11:52 PM   #9

Original Poster
no I dont mind at all, I appreciate the helpful tip about using the eye.