Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2010, 08:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
B&W No3
Lens: 35 Camera: K20 ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/150s Aperture: F4 

I'm still working on line and composition in B&W. This the latest effort; the subject itself isn't as important in this context as the range of tone and composition I'd appreciate some input on. Thanks,
Brian

02-01-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It looks a little over exposed to me and I personally would expect more contrast in a shot like this. The perspective is a bit weird as well, the diagonal line of the corner of the wall is distracting and it also feels lopsided because there is too much space to the right of the lamp and not enough on the right hand side. If you had shot this from the more to the right I think you would eliminate that. Stepping back a bit to include the reflections of those vases on the table would help balance the image as well I think.
02-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #3

What Damn Brit said - But I'm mostly wondering why you shot at 400iso
02-03-2010, 02:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
tcdk, hand-held with indoor natural light. The DA-35 is a f/2.8 so that was the best ISO/speed/aperture combination I could come up without using a flash. I'd be happy to get any suggestions on another/better way to do it,
Brian

02-03-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
juu
Veteran Member

The bottom seems too tightly framed to me. The highlight portions from the sun also take away my attention from the vases which I think are supposed to be the subjects.

It is a pleasing photo though.
02-06-2010, 03:13 AM   #6

As a still life I really like this shot - what I think could be done to improve it (IMO) would be to give it some space to the right and bottom, and crop it a bit on the left.

edit - perhaps you could try mirroring the image?
02-06-2010, 09:57 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Is that supposed to look like classic film grain in the shadow? To me, it looks like blatant noise, and not terribly pleasant. The lack of contrast bugs me a bit too. And as others mentioned, that wall corner at a skewed angle is very noticeable.

I mostly like the framing of the subjects, and the angle of view. I don't know why, but it's just "interesting" to me. But seeing a little bit more of the lower area would've been better, so that the lowest vase isn't sitting on the bottom of the picture.

02-23-2010, 01:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Looks like you've lost detail in the shadows and are close to blowing out the highlights. I like the contrast as you've set it. Most images work better with less contrast than what would immediately *grab* your attention, so you can sit with it for more than 5 minutes.

Composition-wise, it's pretty bottom-right heavy, and your window frame has that harsh/awkward shadow on the bottom left of the frame, which is distracting.

I'd like to see you re-shoot with just the vases, get in tight and show the detail.