Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-05-2010, 09:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
FH Condos #2: cropping problem
Lens: 35 Camera: K20 Photo Location: Arizona ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F5.6 

I'm looking for suggestions on how to deal with the block of solid light tone on the right. I can crop it out, but I lose the rounded shape at the top right; I could burn it in a bit, but it's still a solid mass; or I could, I suppose, do some careful PP work and bring some design in from another part of the building. Thanks for any input on this one,
Brian

02-05-2010, 11:45 PM   #2
Damn Brit

One thing you could try without touching the image is viewing it on a black background. There's such a mass of overexposed (or nearly) it looks like a piece has been cut out of it when viewed on a white background. I have to say, when I had it open in PS, it looked a lot less harsh against the grey background.

Cropping - the best I could come up with was cropping so that the curve you don't want to lose is on the edge of the frame. Problem is, there's still a hefty slice of bright white unbalancing the picture.

I tried burning it in and didn't like that, you would have to burn all the bright areas I think.

Lastly I tried darkening the dark areas to increase the contrast and make a bold statement of the white. That was my favourite option, it definitely improves seen against a dark background as well.

Of course, going back at different times of day and finding out which is best would be the photographers option because it's a really interesting subject and probably worth it.
If you do that, the last crop I've included is a suggested starting point, forget about the wall on the end and go for the repeating pattern.

It's an interesting conundrum to work on.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-28-2010 at 04:50 PM.