Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 12:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
men at work

Hello all,

Would just like your general impressions of this photo. Thanks!

02-11-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I LOVE this picture. The awkward angles seem to defy the convention, but it just works for me. The exposure looks good, everything is in focus, the colours are interesting, both workers are well framed. There's a lot to draw the eye, but the people are definitely the main focus.

I'm looking forward to other people's critiques of this picture because in my limited experience, I can't find anything wrong with it. I'd love to know what issues I should be looking for.
02-11-2010, 01:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
One of the men is wearing thongs and the other is working in his bare feet. Not too smart.
02-11-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
One of the men is wearing thongs and the other is working in his bare feet. Not too smart.
Hmm... yes, well, it was taken in Sri Lanka - a third-world country where quite a few people go without shoes.

02-11-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sealonsf Quote
Hmm... yes, well, it was taken in Sri Lanka - a third-world country where quite a few people go without shoes.
honestly, his comment didn't deserve a reply. I ignored it altogether.
02-11-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
juu
Veteran Member

I loved it off the spot. It reminded me of those strange drawings where the stairs are an infinite impossible object.

I think the composition works very well, although I'd be interested to see one where the camera was level to the ground (it seems a bit tilted here but maybe not).

Also if the man on the bottom right had a red or blue shirt that might improve the picture .
02-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #7

Excellent image. I love the zig-zag angles to it and I love the strong colours.

02-15-2010, 03:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dragonfly Quote
I had to re-read this post before I realized you weren't talking about undergarments
02-17-2010, 09:24 AM   #9

I love it, I really do. The only thing is that I'd love to see all of that middle platform, the crop on the edge frustrates me just a little bit! Brill though!
02-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Unlike the other commenter's, this image does nothing for me. Way too much junk in the frame - angles going every which-way and distracting "stuff" all over the image. For those who aren't afraid of altering "reality", a whole bunch of cloning and patching in Photoshop might make something interesting out of it. But as it is I just don't like it much. Sorry...
02-17-2010, 11:06 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by slinco Quote
Unlike the other commenter's, this image does nothing for me. Way too much junk in the frame - angles going every which-way and distracting "stuff" all over the image. For those who aren't afraid of altering "reality", a whole bunch of cloning and patching in Photoshop might make something interesting out of it. But as it is I just don't like it much. Sorry...
Not a problem at all that you feel the way you do. I definitely would not like to Photoshop out the reality of the shot (not that I could since I don't have Photoshop). I took this with my DA 55-300 at the far end - the men were quite far away from me when I took the photo.

I just liked the look of it - and it shows how construction work is done in Sri Lanka. But having said that, it wasn't my favorite shot of the year or anything like that. It made it into the PPG and I just wanted to get people's impressions of it since so many people are saying that the PPG has gone down in quality recently.

Thanks, everyone for your comments.