Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-11-2010, 03:34 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Botanic Gardens
Lens: 50mm Camera: K7 Photo Location: Belfast 

Decided to post some photos here to get a bit of C+C that doesn't involve pixel peeping and lens discussion as to which particular f number is better and why my copy of the lens is sharp or not and the other thousand other things that quite frankly, are great for the technical and scientific aspect of my hobby but sod all use on making me better myself artistically.

All shots with K7 and SMC Pentax M-50mm f/2.0

02-18-2010, 12:58 AM   #2
juu
Veteran Member

Hard to comment on so many pictures at once but generally they are technically alright but composed very centrally. Your subjects are all very central, putting them in more traditional 2/3 locations might make the pictures more interesting.

Also you leave a lot of space around your subjects which isn't always what they need.
02-23-2010, 01:09 PM   #3
Veteran Member

First one: Underexposed by 1.5 stop or 2, you can shoot like you did but raise it up in post to get some more contrast. Stuff in shade on sunny days usually has pretty low contrast, so you've gotta boost it up a bit in post. Lots of lines, they draw my eye out of the frame rather than to the subject which is right in the center (pretty boring location).

2nd: Looks like a lens test shot. What was it about the flowers that drew you in? If it was their color, get closer and fill the whole frame with it. If it was the repetition of the blooms across the frame, eliminate some of the other elements (other shapes/colors) and keep more in focus so we can tell you want us to look at all the flowers rather than just 1 or 2 blooms.

3rd: Another lens test shot. Why do you care about the leaves? Why should I care? Sometimes shots need more environment to contrast the beauty of the plant against it's horribly surroundings. Since you were in a well-manicured garden, I doubt that approach would work, so try different ways to go abstract, or at least pull some main idea out of the scene in front of you. Maybe blur everything a bit to give it a painterly look? Experiment!

4th: Nice subject, nice angle, but pretty standard looking image as a result. Also, low on contrast and high on saturation for my personal tastes. I'd like to see less greenery and more detail in the wood, or find an angle that really isolates the statue out from the surroundings (really shallow DOF or different angle).