Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-17-2010, 09:33 PM   #1
Forum Member

Old Machine
Lens: 50mm Camera: K20D ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

Would like your thoughts on this one. Thanks.

02-17-2010, 10:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the framing, especially the flaking paint on the wall. The detail looks really sharp. I can't decide if I want to see more background on one side or not. The straight-on perspective is interesting, I think I prefer it to other possibilities.

The exposure is surprisingly good considering the brightness of the subject and the apparent lighting.

I haven't seen a contraption like that in ages I remember cartoons from my youth where a character would get pulled into it and come out flattened

Don't use AdobeRGB on pictures intended for the web. My browser makes it look like crap. This is true for most web browsers, Internet Explorer isn't even color management aware. If you have your camera set to AdobeRGB, change it back to sRGB immediately. Only apply AdobeRGB colorspace to RAW files that you process yourself, and then always remember to convert them to sRGB if you intend to post them on the web. Personally, I have my camera set to sRGB, and I apply 16bit ProPhoto RGB to RAW files I process for maximum colour gamut. I always convert to sRGB before posting to the web.
02-17-2010, 11:27 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments Frank. The pic is now an sRGB version. I shoot RAW and my camera is set to use sRGB--I exported from Lightroom as a .PSD and did minor tweaks in Photoshop. Apparently some part of that process changed it to AdobeRGB. I'll be careful to keep this in mind.

This is a crop--I shot the full machine but didn't like the composition. I was in a bit of a hurry, so I'm going to try to make it back sometime this week when I have more than a minute or so. I'll try some different perspectives (though the surroundings aren't necessarily appealing, so I'm not sure how they'll turn out). I'll try to get just this portion for at least one shot and it should be even sharper (I'm loving the sharpness of my "new" manual 50 1.7 at f/4 and above).

I will play around with a wider version (there's a nice shadow on the right)--I was trying to keep it a standard aspect ratio, but it may suffer because of it.

Thanks again for your input.

jeff
02-18-2010, 12:02 AM   #4
Damn Brit

You did right shooting straight on, graphically it looks good with just the green black and white.
I can't help wandering though what it would have looked like if you took the shot from slightly above the machine just to add a third dimension to the shot by showing the top of it.

02-18-2010, 12:06 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
OK, here's a wider version. I tried it cropped just past the shadow, but I think I like this better than that version. When I re-shoot, I can get more space on top if necessary too.

Gary, I'll catch that perspective when I re-shoot as well. Thanks for your input.

02-18-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
Damn Brit

Now that I see it with the shadow, it does work better but I don't like the wide screen style ratio. You could have the machine taking up one quarter of the frame and I think that would be the right balance.
02-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
juu
Veteran Member

The first crop looks best. Although my eye keeps wandering and wondering as to what's below the picture. It is a good shot.