Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2010, 04:47 PM   #1

Trip to the Zoo
Lens: 220MM Camera: K-x Photo Location: Burnett Park Zoo ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/2s Aperture: F6.7 

Havn't posted anything for critique so I thought I would put something out there. All Comments are welcome. This was taken through about 1 inch glass in the Nocturnal Section of Zoo with no flash at 220mm Handheld. The Lens was a Tamron 100-300mm. Think thats all the info. Have at it

Attached Images

02-19-2010, 07:43 PM   #2
Forum Member

I like the overall composition and the lighting, great exposure. I like the intense expression you captured. If you could have moved just a bit to the right and not cropped the tail and did crop just to the left of the head's shadow, I think it would be better. It looks fairly soft, but that's probably due to the 1" of glass. Even with the room for improvement, I like it.
02-20-2010, 12:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I like the surreal look of it, and the exposure and colour are real good considering the conditions. The framing is unfortunate, though. Mainly the cut-off paw at the bottom and the missing tail. Keeping that in mind, perhaps a portrait would work better? For example, maybe crop out the right side until only the top-right corner of the picture has visible shadow, and crop the left just enough to leave the subject's shadow intact, but keep the top and bottom as is, thereby making the subject's head centered.

Just a suggestion, I'm not necessarily right
02-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #4
Forum Member

The lighting is great, and the moment you shot captures the curiosity face of the object.
But the focus is not exactly on the eye. It makes the pic blur.

02-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zeelich Quote
But the focus is not exactly on the eye. It makes the pic blur.
I think that may have something to do with the 1" glass in the way, especially considering how dirty these things get at zoos.
02-20-2010, 06:11 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for the Comments

I would have liked to move a bit to the right but he was all the way at the back of the enclosure and there was a tree just to the right.

I like the portrait idea I will do that and see how it looks, I like the shadows and your idea keeps that in frame.

As for the Blur I agree, It is alot sharper on the original but I have been having posting issues unless I take it in to photoshop and save less quality, still working on that.