Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2010, 08:15 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Artistis vs blurry?
Lens: 500mm Camera: K7 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F8 

So what do you guys think? Technically I think the #190 guy is too blurry, but I just like this shot because he still stands out compared to the guys around him.

02-21-2010, 08:24 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
I'll have to say it is too blurry for me. Even so, it would have looked a lot better if 129 was slightly in focus.
02-21-2010, 11:50 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree, the fact that everyone but #90 is blurry makes this picture a little too surreal for the subject matter. I would've preferred a greater depth of field that captures both #90 and #129 in sharper detail, while leaving #194 and the two rear guys blurry.

As it is, it's hard to tell who you intended to feature in your picture. To me, it looks like you were going for #129 but got #90 instead by accident. He's too crowded in there. Of course, that's just the nature of such shots, sometimes the perfect opportunity to capture the scene you want just doesn't present itself If you're familiar with #90, I recommend you ask him to do a better job of posing for your pictures in the future, even if it means losing the race. (I'm kidding of course! )
02-23-2010, 05:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
I'll have to say it is too blurry for me. Even so, it would have looked a lot better if 129 was slightly in focus.
Yeah, I guess I was just curious about other peoples response.

QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote
I agree, the fact that everyone but #90 is blurry makes this picture a little too surreal for the subject matter. I would've preferred a greater depth of field that captures both #90 and #129 in sharper detail, while leaving #194 and the two rear guys blurry.

As it is, it's hard to tell who you intended to feature in your picture. To me, it looks like you were going for #129 but got #90 instead by accident. He's too crowded in there. Of course, that's just the nature of such shots, sometimes the perfect opportunity to capture the scene you want just doesn't present itself If you're familiar with #90, I recommend you ask him to do a better job of posing for your pictures in the future, even if it means losing the race. (I'm kidding of course! )
For a standard racing photo it is definitely too blurry, but for some reason every time I scroll past is it catches my eye. I guess it is mostly the surreal aspect of everyone else being blurry - even the guys next to him.

02-24-2010, 09:27 AM   #5

I like it for sharpness and dof, but its too bad that the number plate is so obscured. Tell him to race closer to the apex next time and see if he still likes you pretty good shot
02-24-2010, 09:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As a fellow MotoGP shooter I'd say this photo works very well. The focus is not spot on but there is enough there that it really makes #190 stand out. It also illustrates the state of mind one has to be in when doing this kind of racing. You have to be 100% concentrated on yourself but still maintain a peripheral awareness of the other riders around you. Well done!

Mike
02-25-2010, 04:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JesseDavis Quote
I like it for sharpness and dof, but its too bad that the number plate is so obscured. Tell him to race closer to the apex next time and see if he still likes you pretty good shot
Thanks - I'll tell him that the he needs to corner a little lower and think more about his line

QuoteOriginally posted by MRRiley Quote
As a fellow MotoGP shooter I'd say this photo works very well. The focus is not spot on but there is enough there that it really makes #190 stand out. It also illustrates the state of mind one has to be in when doing this kind of racing. You have to be 100% concentrated on yourself but still maintain a peripheral awareness of the other riders around you. Well done!

Mike
Thanks. It took a little time to get them all staged the way I wanted, but in the end it worked out pretty well I guess it's really just one of those freaky shots you don't notice you have until you get home.
04-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Can't believe that I just saw this. I like it. A lot. The focus, drive and commitment required to to barrel into a turn like that with other riders all around is something that's hard to capture. And you've managed to do that here. With your choice of focus I'm instantly placed in the helmet and leathers of the one rider in focus and can start to appreciate the situation that he is in, much more so than if all of them were in focus. If they were all in focus then I'm just another trackside observer. This is different, but next time, please ask the guy to wear a clear visor so that we can see the concentration on his face LOL!

I can't tell you how many stereotypical motorcycle racer photos that I've seen - I'm particularly fond of the work that you see in the Brit Mags like Bike and VisorDown. There is a beauty and grace and top-shelf production values in them all - especially the ones taken in sun-drenched locations like Philip Island, Jerez, etc... But, and this is a big one, it's tough to make one that's different, one that stands out. With this one shot you suggested an approach that I'd like to see more of. Well done!

04-16-2010, 03:03 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Wow, I really like this shot. As a fellow shooter who tries to shoot drift competitions getting a good shot that really sticks out from the rest is very difficult. However, on this shot you have done exactly that.

You mentioned that every time you scroll by this photo your eye is drawn to it as is mine. Although #190 is not as sharp as you would like, he is in focus enough to be noticed out of the group of bikers. It really does fill your mind as to the concentration and determination that it takes to be biker. I mean with all that action going on around you I have no idea how I could keep a level head when knowing that one tiny mistake could cost you your life.

For me it is very hard to fathom and the fact that these guys do this for a living is absolutely amazing. So if I was you I would keep this photo for sure; it catches your eye and makes your mind wonder what could be going on in that bikers mind.

Thanks again for sharing and I look forward on seeing some more photos from you
04-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Did you try printing it, I would think even up to 5x7 you wouldn't notice the missed focus, if nothing else, it just shows that he is in motion.
04-21-2010, 08:12 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by GoremanX Quote

Interesting observation, and I concur.
IMO, this picture is passable and alright. The focus is not spot on but enough to make #190 stand out. One can improve on this picture if the focus is sharper.
On another note, if the focus is on rider #129, the picture will looks more interesting. To do that , you have to be 100% concentrated on #129 but still maintain a peripheral awareness of the other riders around.

Cheers.