Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2010, 11:40 PM   #1
Forum Member

On the corner of <number> and <geographic location>
Lens: 100mm Camera: K100D Photo Location: Morris, MN ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/2000s Aperture: F3.5 

I like the slightly OOF background here, and I like the lines that line up in parallel with the street signs (either one or the other). I'm not sure I like the angle, but I wasn't sure what else to do about it (given that I'm shorter than a streetsign).

Please be harsh, I'm trying to learn. I've got thick skin. Thanks!

02-24-2010, 08:32 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
Love the light, the background, everything except that the missing on A on Atlantic (or so i assume) leaves me unfulfilled! That's criminal signpost design; don't they think about photographers when they put those things up?
02-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
the A is behind the sign facing backwards What that means is my angle is off a little bit :-/
02-24-2010, 12:24 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by summatusmentis Quote
the A is behind the sign facing backwards What that means is my angle is off a little bit :-/
well, not really, because the balance of the signs is nice. To get the angle you would need to foreshorten the sign much to much, and lose the pretty background. It's just that the world (and the dept of planning for <geographic location>) hate you and your dreams :ugh:

02-24-2010, 01:31 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That was the slooooowest loading image in the history of image loading. 4 freaking megs for a JPG that's barely being displayed at 800 pixels wide?!? Please, in the future, resize the image before posting it. It will look better in our browsers (since our browsers do a terrible job of resisizng) and it'll make loading the picture a lot less painful.

Why did you shoot at ISO 800 and a shutter speed of 1/2000? Why not bring the ISO down to 200 and the shutter speed down to 1/500? You would have gotten the exact same exposure, but without the dreadful noise all over. It really ruins the shot, especially since my browser did a horrid job of resizing the picture in the first place.

(incidentally, the picture looks infinitely better in a separate image viewer, but I shouldn't have to do that)

The background also could've been more blurry. A smaller aperture would've helped a lot. As it is, I find the bokeh in the background very distracting. I can "kinda" make out the words on the rear silo sign, but I wish I couldn't.

I like the composition, though. I think the framing is excellent.

Last edited by GoremanX; 02-24-2010 at 04:07 PM.
02-24-2010, 03:20 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
Fair enough, I'll link to one of the smaller sizes on flickr next time (or figure out how to link to flickr properly so people pick which size they want).

I didn't really think about ISO, if I remember correctly, I was in lower light for the previous image, and had not changed the ISO from that one. Point well taken though, the image does get noisy in places.

Thanks for not holding back, I appreciate the honesty.
« B&W No3 | Doggies »