Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2010, 06:52 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cathedral
Lens: 16mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: SLC ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 

Please point out my flaws and things to improve. Your critique is always appreciated!

02-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There are some angle issues, like the stop sign and lamp post, which I assume are not falling over. Not to mention the hillside that you are shooting into.
02-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah there is some conflicting angles going on. I think the stop sign is actually a little bent because of the ground it's on. Not sure what I can do about it?

Is it generally advisable never to shoot into hills unless you have to?

Thanks dragonfly.
02-26-2010, 08:15 PM   #4
Damn Brit

You are always going to have 'angle' issues when shooting wide like that. You have two choices, find a perspective whereby it doesn't become an issue or find a way to make creative use of them. In this case it's probably not going to work because the perspective distortion of the cathedral and the perspective distortion of the signs conflict with each other.

Another issue with this shot is that it's so tightly framed, either move back (if you can) so that there is some space either side of the cathedral (in that case you would still have the problem with the signs) or get closer and isolate certain features. In the case of the second option the tower is probably the most interesting feature, you could get way up close and shoot up the corner of it. That would also have the advantage of eliminating the signs.

02-26-2010, 09:38 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ok, it makes sense to me now. The problem with pulling back is that I would have to stand the middle of a very busy street and just to the right of the frame is a giant traffic light

Getting up close would have been the best option I think given the surroundings and a cool looking shot too. I'll go back later and get it. Maybe when the sun is being a little more cooperative too. It was pretty overcast all around.

Thanks Damn Brit.
02-26-2010, 10:33 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by drifter Quote
Maybe when the sun is being a little more cooperative too. It was pretty overcast all around.

Thanks Damn Brit.
You don't really want the sun, overcast is better, the light is a better quality.
02-26-2010, 10:54 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ah. never mind then. You learn something every minute around here!

Here is another shot I took...more of a close up with "pp" for fun.

02-27-2010, 12:12 AM   #8
Damn Brit

This one is quite underexposed.
At least the lamp post and the cathedral towers are pointing in the right direction.

Bright sunlight isn't necessarily bad, it's just harder to work with, you get high contrast situations which make it hard to get the exposure right.