Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2010, 10:15 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sunset in Bonn
Lens: 80mm Camera: Pentax K-m Photo Location: Bonn, Germany ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s 

I really like taking pics of cityscapes against the sun, creating those black outlines of buildings. Would appreciate some feedback to the following pic. thank you
Martin

02-28-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Looks like home.
02-28-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by 16N64 Quote
Looks like home.
Great critique there, I'm sure we all learned a lot from that.

I too like the silhouetted cityscapes. The problem I have with this one is the dark area is too wide and the strip of water isn't wide enough to balance it out. If you had pointed the camera down a little so you lost that grey strip at the top of the frame and replaced it with more water, it would be better balanced and you would also have a bigger area of the suns reflection to add interest. Usually all you need is the rooftops making the silhouette because that is where the interest is.
The sun is blown out pretty badly and that diagonal going through the steeple on the left is a bit of a shame.

The fortunate thing is, cities don't have a habit of moving so it will still be there to capture again.
03-06-2010, 12:13 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
The fortunate thing is, cities don't have a habit of moving so it will still be there to capture again.
Thank you for taking your time to help me with the pic. Hopefully i'll be in Bonn soon again to retake the pic.

03-06-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd agree with Gary's critique and add that the image portrays neither a silhouette nor well-exposed subject matter, and so leaves the viewer wondering what to focus on in the frame.

The cityscape offers little in the way of interesting form, which makes a silhouette not the most artistic option for the shot, but also the sun is far too overpowering that little else could have been done about the capture.

It would be a better option to allow the sun to go down and watch the colours in the sky come through, balancing out the light between foreground and sky - so bring your tripod next time.