Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Where Did All the Snow Go? attempt #2
Lens: 21mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Ile-Aux-Noix, QC ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F8 

After my failed attempt in https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/92155-nature-where-did-all-snow-go.html , I went back out to the same spot today to try different angles. The sun was out, the day was warm, and everything was PERFECT for shooting... until the battery died 6 shots into the session! GAH! I HATE proprietary batteries!!! And I hate how the K-7 says it still has 2/3 of a charge, and then dies right away.

Anyways, here's one of the shots I was able to get, and I'm MUCH happier with this one than with yesterday's attempts. But by all means, tell me how wrong I am and why

Last edited by GoremanX; 03-02-2010 at 04:52 PM.
03-02-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It's a picture of a bike leaning against a tree.

I think a different perspective might help to make the shot more creative.
Maybe using a larger aperture to isolate the front wheel (for example) and blur the background would make it more interesting.
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's a picture of a bike leaning against a tree.
Shows how little you know, it's free-standing there and not touching the tree at all

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think a different perspective might help to make the shot more creative.
Maybe using a larger aperture to isolate the front wheel (for example) and blur the background would make it more interesting.
Funny you should mention that... that was EXACTLY the shot I was trying to get (from a lower perspective) when the battery died.
03-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I'm with Damn Brit. Go for bokeh! (pun intended)

03-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I like attempt #2 better than #1.

If it were me, I would have cropped it, but thats just me.
03-06-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Frank, I hope you don't mind my adding my two-cents here. I LOVE bike shots, whatever the bike. I agree with the others that changing perspective and adding bokeh would improve the photo and make it more interesting. If the bike is the main object of attention, why not emphasize it more? Get down low and close and shoot aft to include both wheels and parts of the rest of the bike, or shoot from low and point forward in the direction the bike is heading, including the front wheel and perhaps parts of the drivetrain, and again, with the bike filling most of the picture.
03-08-2010, 02:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

cropping the handles would give it a more out of control look, IMHO

interestingly the seat and top of your front wheel makes a nice diagonal line

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
03-08-2010, 02:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Wow I sure am an amazing photographer!

I'm kidding, of course. Apparently it takes a better photographer than myself to see the gem in the rough. So I'll have to keep working at it!

I really like that result, I'll try and duplicate it on my full-size image.
03-09-2010, 05:59 AM   #9
Veteran Member

hi frank,

nothing special just cropping to emphasizing the points others noted above really, i.e.: emphasize low, include wheels, drive train, and parts of the bike, point toward the direction the bike is going e.g. diagonal into the pond, include the front wheel and let the bike cover up more of the frame. coloring is another story, im glad you like the crop tho

Last edited by tokyoso; 03-09-2010 at 06:20 AM.