Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
Inactive Account

My Bike [for Goreman]
Lens: 40mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: home ISO: 200 Aperture: F2 

Goreman got me thinking about bikes and bokeh and I'm addicted to my camera right now - while the bike languishes.

03-02-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Watch your corners and edges when you compose.

In the first one, top left and bottom right corners have distracting elements. It would have been nice to see the lettering on the frame all in focus.

In the second one, the top right corner and almost a third of the left side are distracting. Crop it from the left to remove most of that and then crop some from the top to remove the object in top right corner.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-03-2010 at 12:33 PM.
03-02-2010, 06:51 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Yeah i just missed all the lettering, that focal band is really tight at f2 and I need more practice.

I always forget about distracting elements. I really need to ingrain the idea of a strong, uncluttered subject into my overall shot.

Once again thanks Damn Brit. If only I could figure out how to put you in my camera bag.
03-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Damn Brit

If you have a tripod, go out and do some landscapes. If you don't have one, make that your next purchase. Using a tripod slows you down ang gives you a chance to think more about the composition. Take a good look all around what you see in the viewfinder, decide if there is anything you don't want in the frame and decide where you want what is in the frame to be. Recompose accordingly. Once you get better at composing you'll be able to do it much more readily without the tripod slowing you down.

BTW, the lettering isn't that much of an issue, it's legible enough. Being in the centre of the frame isn't good compositionally though.

03-02-2010, 07:13 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I should get a tripod. It will have to wait till I get back from my vacation in Taiwan though, but I may rent one while I'm there. Anything that helps me get better shots from half-way around the world I'm all for. Maybe I should aslo get a focus screen with a grid.
03-02-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Damn Brit

Tripod is probably more important (and a cable release). Do your research first, there are plenty of reviews in the field accessory forum.
03-03-2010, 01:22 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
That's a sweet bike Makes me want to go out to the garage and take more pictures of mine. Of course, mine isn't in such nice shape as yours right now, thanks to all that winter riding.

Before I start hacking away, let me first state that I absolutely LOVE these pictures What follows is nit-picking and general advice.

I really like the rear tire shot that emphasizes the tread and leaves the rest out of focus. But I agree with Brit, there's too much useless space on the left side. Problem is, it's supposed to be a bike shot, not a tire shot, and cropping out too much of it essentially leaves you with a tire.

Do you have a chain guard on your bike? I went to a 2x9 setup last year which included a nice chainguard instead of a third ring gear. The reason I ask is that photographing that side of the bike might've helped the composition of the first picture, adding a round geometric shape to the bottom of the seat tube instead of the distracting bottom bracket/crankset. But if you don't have a chainguard, then you'd just be adding a chain to the picture, which wouldn't help.

Also, like Brit said, the headset is distracting. And I can only assume that's the handlebar obscuring the bottom left corner. Turning the handlebar away might've helped.

Now you've given me ideas on how to shoot my own bike tomorrow! Soon the critique forum will look like this thread:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/mini-challenges-games-photo-stories/54836...-bicycles.html
03-03-2010, 10:48 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
My bike has been babied. It's only a year old anyhow. It doesn't have a chain guard. Thanks for the critique Goreman, and the link to bike pics, some inspiring shots in there.

My motorcycle on the other hand has seen better days. It's not running right now but maybe I'll get some shots of it later.

03-06-2010, 06:45 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Which lens did you use? just curious...
03-06-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
Which lens did you use? just curious...
Voigtlander 40mm/2.0 SL II. It's manual focus (good thing IMO) but has an auto aperture that I have been pleasantly surprised with.