Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2010, 02:27 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
Portrait of a Kid
Lens: 50mm Camera: K-m ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/10s Aperture: F2 

i attempted to take a portrait of my cousin's 2 year old son, here is my favorite shot. Infact it was quite fun since the kid seemed to amuse himself and laugh at the shutter sound every time i took a picture. Unfortunately i have lots of fingerprints on my lens now
Please critique...

03-06-2010, 12:34 AM   #2
Forum Member

I would really like this one if the left side of his head wasn't cut off. Lighting and exposure look really good, and I really like the expression you captured. Maybe the B&W conversion could have a bit more contrast.
03-06-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A good portrait overall.
Good B&W conversion, but I'm guessing there was significant blown highlights being salvaged causing a flattening of contrast/clarity in the image. Nevertheless, the texture rendered is almost tactile. Well done with that.

The composition does fail here as stated above - otherwise, a good choice of DoF control and serendipitous posing from the youngster.
03-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you very much for the helpful comments.
@Ash: You are very right with the highlights. Initially the histogram seemed ok, only later, when looking at the computer did i notice the blown highlights on the top of the right cheek. As a result i toned it a bit down, making the pic less contrasty as zombieCat mentioned.

Martin