Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-05-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Something Out There

something is lurking? does this kind of picture draw interest at all? is the composition awkward?

Attached Images

Last edited by tokyoso; 03-05-2010 at 06:09 AM.
03-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #2
Damn Brit

It's certainly intriguing. This is one of the first pictures with selective colouring that I like.
There's no obvious subject, the selective colouring seems completely random, the whole image seems to have no point at all. But it works on a lot of different levels and I really like it.
The only thing I would do to it is crop some from the bottom, the white thing in his pocket and his belt are a bit distracting.
03-05-2010, 11:56 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree and disagree with Damn Brit. It is just some random photo, selective coloring seems random. After staring at the thing for a few minutes though, and perhaps trying too hard to squeeze some structure out of it, you have this: Motion, in the form of converging lines, based on the small bits of white. Three girls, white faces; little girl, white coat; RED boots. Then: White belt and thing in pocket; girl on right, white shoes; little girl, white shoes; RED boots. Seemingly random yields converging lines onto red boots. Also, how she completely fades into the background but for her hair and boots. Perhaps I try too hard to make sense of it, and loose the point of the photo, but I think that is why I like the photo, and why I love the red boots on black and white. Excellent photo.
03-05-2010, 02:58 PM   #4
Inactive Account

I agree with logic14 for keeping the belt and wallet/white thing. There is a distinct line of vivid and thematic colors that lead to the red.

The only thing I would crop out is the back of the guy on the left and the distracting white dots at the top.

I do feel that ultimately the image is a just a touch on the random/pointless side but if you narrow it a bit with the crops I think it will have a more apparent theme.

It's an inspiring photo, very creative.

03-05-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Interesting scene to me also.
I agree with the compositional issue but also find the red shoe not a distinct feature in the image to have highlighted by the selective colouring.
Well done otherwise.
03-05-2010, 08:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for your comments. I thought I could play and straighten that line a little bit, I'll play around with it a bit later on ... whenever I spot this picture in my files, I just had this urge to fix it a little bit somehow..

this one without the color for comparison

Last edited by tokyoso; 03-13-2010 at 07:05 AM.
03-05-2010, 09:46 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
It's certainly intriguing. This is one of the first pictures with selective colouring that I like.
There's no obvious subject, the selective colouring seems completely random, the whole image seems to have no point at all. But it works on a lot of different levels and I really like it.
The only thing I would do to it is crop some from the bottom, the white thing in his pocket and his belt are a bit distracting.
Thank you for your comment, this is cropped as described. Great call about the distracting white pocket...!

Last edited by tokyoso; 03-13-2010 at 07:05 AM.
03-05-2010, 10:03 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
When I first saw it, I thought "too much black space at the top". I did not even notice the red boot (maybe because the forum skin is red...)

Sorry.
03-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
Thank you for your comment, this is cropped as described. Great call about the distracting white pocket...!
I disagree. logic14 (correctly imho) points out how the white belt provides the first "step" in a chain of white objects that form an approximate leading line to the red boot. The picture becomes far less interesting w/o the white belt. Maybe the pocket item can be removed by heaving burning-in instead, keeping the belt? My 2c anyway.

Also, I don't think the title fits as I don't see the majority of the people paying attention to a common direction. Without that, I see no connection to something 'lurking out there'.

It is an interesting image.

Last edited by SWEngineer; 03-05-2010 at 10:54 PM. Reason: add more
03-06-2010, 06:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, I burned out his little pocket thing. Great call on that line..!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-x  Photo