Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2010, 10:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunsets
Lens: 10mm & 50mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Fremantle ISO: 100 

I feel these need some post processing (other than what I have tried) or something, so any suggestions would be welcomed

1. DA 10-17mm Cropped

2. FA 50mm with ND8 Gradient Filter (I have spotted the horizon which I'll fix later)

03-09-2010, 12:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

In the second photo, you did a good job of silhouetting the subject walking along the beach. But I think they could be larger in the frame. They are just that size that I cannot tell if it is a picture of a sunset with someone walking on the beach, or someone walking on the beach at sun rise. Does that make sense? Also, I measured off the horizon and i think it is almost level, the beach/water line are at a much larger angle horizontally across the frame and I believe it is an illusion.

As to the first I think there is too much blue, try a filter, see what happens.
03-09-2010, 01:13 AM   #3
Damn Brit

If you only want suggestions about Post Processing, then this thread should be in the Post Processing forum. Can you clarify please, thanks?
03-09-2010, 01:17 AM   #4
Veteran Member

And if you only wanted post processing I need to learn to read... sigh...

03-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
no not all, I feel they lack something that I can't put my finger on, maybe I just confused the issue by putting that in.
03-09-2010, 02:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just a thought

Working with the low rez pic I stole for the website I changed the crop, fixed the horizon and played with the white balance and colours. the sky would fill out better with your original. better, worse, I don't know...
Attached Images

03-09-2010, 02:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member

yeah looking at them side by side, I lost the halo around the sun, but there is a lot of detail you can pull out of this image to even it out a bit.

03-09-2010, 11:18 AM   #8
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
... fixed the horizon
Are you sure about that?
03-09-2010, 11:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Are you sure about that?
If you mean the right side looks bigger than the left, I know it is a illusion, they are both 9.5/10 inch from the top on my screen. I think it is because the beach rises left to right it gives the effect that the other lines are not straight. So this begs the question, better to be level or look level...

if you are talking about the colours, nope not sure at all not enough detail in the jpg I stole to have the colours blend correctly.
03-09-2010, 11:28 AM   #10
Damn Brit

I'm not sure about the first one, maybe it's the curved horizon and colours. Maybe it's the composition, it's not that well balanced, the horizon is more or less in the middle and the upper portion of the sky seems like wasted space. You could try cropping from the top to make the image follow the rule of thirds.

In the second image I see a thing or two (apart from the tilted horizon). The sun is in the center and when you do something like that, it draws the eye and makes it harder to notice anything else in the picture. You shot down at the person so you failed to create a decent silhouette because she isn't backlit and she is obscured by the sea. You needed to be shooting up so that the person is outlined against the sky. Ideally the person would have been in the left hand side of the frame and the sun would have been on the right,
creating a diagonal going across the screen. If shooting up at the person, it may even have been possible to have them silhouetted in the sun.
03-09-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Damn Brit

If you mean the right side looks bigger than the left, I know it is a illusion, they are both 9.5/10 inch from the top on my screen. I think it is because the beach rises left to right it gives the effect that the other lines are not straight. So this begs the question, better to be level or look level...

if you are talking about the colours, nope not sure at all not enough detail in the jpg I stole to have the colours blend correctly.
Try measuring the one you posted, it's a fraction out but enough to notice.

Even if it was an illusion, that's still not good. I've never heard of someone taking a ruler to an art gallery. If it looks tilted, it's tilted as far as the viewer is concerned.
03-09-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Gary, good catch it was off by 1 mm. you must have a much bigger screen than the little 9" I used this morning... but on my 23" work computer it is off. I admit I am not perfect... sigh... hard to believe... but true...

But thanks to the OP, I have learned something I will be cognitive of the next time I take a shoreline: that the horizon and the beach should run parallel or decidedly not. As to the person on the beach I like that they are framed by a wave, but the sky would be better.
03-09-2010, 11:53 AM   #13
Damn Brit

Gary, good catch it was off by 1 mm. you must have a much bigger screen than the little 9" I used this morning...
Yeah, I have a massive 15".

It's just something I notice, I do a lot of sunsets so the horizon line is something I have to contend with a lot.
03-09-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Cheers for the advice guys, these I think these were the best of a bad bunch which I didn't get right for one excuse or another. I agree the composition in the 1st one is way off.

Next time I'll get lower and keep playing with the gradient filter (this was the first time using one) to get more detail from the foreground. (And the horizon )
03-09-2010, 11:35 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Gary, good catch it was off by 1 mm. you must have a much bigger screen than the little 9" I used this morning... but on my 23" work computer it is off. I admit I am not perfect... sigh... hard to believe... but true...
You don't need a big screen, you just need a horizontal line through it. In Firefox, I can drag the image to the titlebar (the image remains visible as I drag it around) and use that as a horizontal line. It clearly showed that the horizon was off.