Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2010, 06:43 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The ok Store
Lens: 37mm Camera: KM Photo Location: Rossland BC ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 

I havent done a lot of BW conversions I posted a series in the photo sharing and didn't generate any comments, so I am posting here to get some feedback on your thoughts Thanks!

03-12-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Damn Brit

On the conversion or the whole package?
03-13-2010, 12:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The whole package, is good, before you all blast me for not leveling my frame, I do honestly believe this structure lacked a single straight line in it...
03-13-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
Damn Brit

No I won't blast you for that but it wouldn't hurt to get one of the horizontals straight, either the line above or the one below the sign, it should help.
I will blast you for the perspective though. Shooting down on it just diminishes the building so, unless you're going for the toytown look, I think that was a mistake. It also has the consequence of giving you too much sky.
By the focal length you entered I assume you were using the kit lens. So why not shoot from the wide end? You could get up much closer and shoot up, that would make the building loom much larger and blot out the sky. That would also probably emphasise all those off kilter lines making it look even more interesting.
I'll tell you what I do like, those four windows with the 'Y' shaped wiring in between them. Take a crop of that and I think it makes a great picture on it's own. Just play around with Levels and Contrast to make the wiring stand out as much as possible.

03-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Is it on a hill? I cannot make sense of it... I am getting dizzy trying to line up a straight edge with the photo's edge...
03-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Is it on a hill? I cannot make sense of it... I am getting dizzy trying to line up a straight edge with the photo's edge...
If you look closely, it's on two hills which is probably why the building is so off-kilter.
03-13-2010, 01:48 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Gary - might not want to recommend a wide lens, OP might have to get close to the building, and if it is leaning that much could be lights out when it falls on him!

03-13-2010, 02:09 PM   #8
Damn Brit

It would be ok if he lined himself up with the doorway. Have you ever seen that old silent movie (Mack Sennet I think it was) where they did that?
03-13-2010, 02:51 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Yeah I remember that clip, that took big balls... that was no digital effects, a few inches off and SpLAt!
03-13-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I was across the street, and shot from street level, if anything I was down hill as the road sloped away from what I was shooting. I was using a 28-70mm lens at the time, because I was hoping to capture the oddness of this building and my 10-20 mm would have added its own distortion making it harder to determine what was poor workmanship and what was lens distortion. I was really shocked when I saw someone walk out of this building!

Here is Edit 2 Does the added amount of street help reduce the "toy town" effect?
03-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #11
Damn Brit

It helps from that point of view but it doesn't really add anything to the image. That perspective is weird, even though you say differently, it still looks like you shot it from above street level.

I still say go closer (don't get run over) and use your 10-20, I think you need to exaggerate the existing distortion in the building to maximise the impact. Try different focal lengths and the see what looks best. If you are using PS, it's relatively easy to fix any excessive distortion (not sure about other software).
03-13-2010, 06:17 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fair enough thanks.
03-14-2010, 06:59 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by cb750r Quote

Here is Edit 2 Does the added amount of street help reduce the "toy town" effect?
might look better if you or someone walk in front of it to capture a little motion blur