Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-13-2010, 09:55 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Doldrums
Lens: 18mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Veterans park ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F5.6 

I'd like to see what you guys think of this one...
Does the composition work?
Is any message/story conveyed, or is it just in my mind?
Thanks
Tim

Attached Images

03-13-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
Damn Brit

It's in your mind I think, there's no narrative there that I can pick up on, it looks like a random snapshot.
The composition doesn't work because the pattern of the benches is too chaotic. For something like this to work you need to be above so that a pattern can be seen. If you had shot this scene from the position that is the top right hand corner in this pic, I think it might have been a lot different. The pattern would be more apparent and the figure would be at the back of the scene with his back to the camera. That would create more of a sense of mystery.

Last edited by Damn Brit; 03-13-2010 at 10:22 PM.
03-14-2010, 08:47 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply
Tim
03-18-2010, 08:59 PM   #4
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
To me it looks like someone in the act of sitting down, its the first think that popped into my head. The benches are very busy in the background too maybe if it were shot with a shallower DOF it might have worked better. Then again there are just the ideas of a rank amateur so i could be totally wrong

03-26-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
Veteran Member

snowy scenes are really hard to expose right. i dont know what software you are using, but if you use a highlight recovery setting...increase it, then pull up the midtones with levels, then drop the blacks down with curves.

eh, im just kind of rambling on your behalf. i like the chaos of the benches
04-10-2010, 06:17 PM   #6
Veteran Member

this is a very interesting photo. It is hard to expose some images in the snow as the harsh light seems to reflect.
04-10-2010, 07:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I think that if you went mad with high contrast to get a graphics look you might pull out a pattern from the benches that would be more interesting.

04-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #8
Veteran Member

I kind of get the idea behind it, but I don't think that it was as well conveyed as you had hoped. You need to get a better model placement (or placement for yourself) to make this work.
04-12-2010, 06:29 PM   #9

I think this location has lots of potential. Take it as practice and use your imagination with model placement and attire.