Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Blue Hour Angles
Lens: 55mm Camera: K-20D ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 6s Aperture: F5.6 

Thoughts on this one are appreciated.

03-18-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Damn Brit

I think the different angle at the bottom on the right detracts from the picture, crop it out and it would be much improved. I also think darkening the sky to make it black and brightening the mid tones to make the buildings 'pop' a little would be an improvement.
Assuming the crop, I really like the depth and perspective that this picture has.
03-18-2010, 10:26 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think the different angle at the bottom on the right detracts from the picture, crop it out and it would be much improved. I also think darkening the sky to make it black and brightening the mid tones to make the buildings 'pop' a little would be an improvement.
Assuming the crop, I really like the depth and perspective that this picture has.
Thanks for the input, Brit. I thought the angle at the bottom showed more interest, but now that I see it cropped out, I do prefer it without. I must have subconsciously known this when taking the picture, as cropping right on the angle junction produced a perfect 8X10 proportion . I also like the darker sky--if the buildings had more prominent contrasting color in relation to the blue hour light, I think it would have been more pleasing as-is. But I'm having a tough time deciding whether I like this second one or something in between it and the first (with a very dark, just-noticeable blue at the bottom). I also bumped the mids a bit, which does bring things out more. Thanks again for your comments.

jeff

03-20-2010, 03:24 AM   #4
Veteran Member

On this one I'd have to go with leaving the angle in.

The angle seems to create a visual tension that lends a dynamism to the other angles. Hard to tell but I think the angle comes towards the viewer and draws him into the picture.

Without it the picture looks distant and static to my eye.

03-20-2010, 04:06 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like it much better without the bottom part, it's much more "cleaner".
03-20-2010, 04:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I like it much better without the bottom part, it's much more "cleaner".
That's all that really matters.
04-14-2010, 11:53 AM   #7

The cropped one is probably the way to go, but I still have a thing for the uncropped version, there's a level of abstraction and intersecting of shapes that I like with the bottom part in that makes it more dramatic somehow.

04-14-2010, 02:27 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the second one much better, the lines and details look great. Other then what gary said about the different angle on the first image I really like it.
04-14-2010, 05:45 PM   #9

Looks like it comes down to a personal choice here. For my 2 cents worth I would leave in the angle and crop just above the dark area in the lower right. Also maybe some of the black on the left side. But then that would probably destroy your proportions for a print.
04-15-2010, 01:21 AM   #10
Veteran Member

This is very nice, but I definitely think it could use some improvement. If you want to go totally architectural processing, then make it a black and white and change the contrast and the blacks to make all of the lines stand out, along with the angles.

If you want to make this more of a night time style photo, then I'd really recommend playing with the crop, because this one doesn't work too well for that.
04-16-2010, 11:16 AM   #11
Veteran Member

I must be the only one, but for me the combination of the black void in the upper left plus the lit room in the far building pull my eye repeatedly to the upper left. The angular break and surface sheen help pull the eye back down, but not enough IMO. Also, the left is also a bit strong and I keep going back there. What I'd try is adjusting the cropping from the upper left until the strength of the sky is better balanced with the other elements on the page, maybe even cropping out the left sky entirely, or at least reducing the strength of the edge of the far building. Well done!
04-16-2010, 04:15 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for the feedback. The second version has been accepted in the PPG, no doubt in part because of the suggestions. For a print, I will play around with some of the different crop and B&W conversion suggestions. Thanks again.
04-21-2010, 07:59 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
This is very nice, but I definitely think it could use some improvement. If you want to go totally architectural processing, then make it a black and white and change the contrast and the blacks to make all of the lines stand out, along with the angles.

If you want to make this more of a night time style photo, then I'd really recommend playing with the crop, because this one doesn't work too well for that.
Interesting observation, and I concur. What jct us101 mentioned above on the b&w is true.
But if you want a colour architectural picture, IMO, the uncropped one provides an interesting perspective. While many here may argue that the cropped one is better, I find the cropped one "flat". The cropped one would be better off onder the topic Abstract.
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

Cheers.
04-21-2010, 08:04 PM   #14
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your input Pentaxie. The verdict seems to be about 50/50 as to whether people prefer the cropped or uncropped version (here and elsewhere). I haven't gotten around to the B&W version, but am still going to give it a go.