Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Aiguille Du Midi, France
Lens: 35mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: chamonix, france ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/6000s Aperture: F9.5 

Apart from the dust which i think i have mostly gotten rid of, how did i go with this?
PP has been quite basic as my skills are non existent, did an auto enhance (in aperture) and took the edge of the snow using highlight brightness.

Click on image for larger version

03-19-2010, 11:58 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I have fond memories of that place.
The sky is a bit dark but, apart from that, you composed it correctly and it looks sharp.
The only thing I would say, you made it look and feel so small. That's the problem with places like that, you can't get to a position to take a creative shot.
But, you're one up on me, I have no pictures from my trip there so from a personal standpoint, it a memory for you and the large version does look pretty impressive.
Me not having a pic does mean I have to go back though.
03-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the critique brit, much appreciated. Chamonix was my first ever snow, i was like a 6yr old on xmas day (i drove my wife nuts).
I was using my 12-24mm that day but changed it out right before that shot to see what the 35ltd would do (i love that lens... now i want the 15 and 70)
Now you mention the sky i feel as though i could have played with the white balance a little and/or dropped the aperture to maybe f11.
03-19-2010, 09:16 PM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by mibane Quote
Thanks for the critique brit, much appreciated. Chamonix was my first ever snow, i was like a 6yr old on xmas day (i drove my wife nuts).
I was using my 12-24mm that day but changed it out right before that shot to see what the 35ltd would do (i love that lens... now i want the 15 and 70)
Now you mention the sky i feel as though i could have played with the white balance a little and/or dropped the aperture to maybe f11.
An ND filter probably wouldn't have helped because of the rock sticking up but a polariser might have made a little difference.

03-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #5
wjt
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the tip
03-20-2010, 09:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I love the exposure of this shot, the contrast is excellent. DB mentioned the sky is too dark, and maybe it is, but I love the gradient it gives. I agree with the scale though, this doesn't convey size well at all.