Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 09:04 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Yellow Flower
Lens: 50mm Camera: Kx Photo Location: New York ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/15s Aperture: F11 

Hi - I'm very new to this... I just got my first DSLR (Kx) and was hoping to get some constructive critisium / guidance on how to take better pictures; and or fix them after I've taken them. I just figured out what PP stand for and was wondering what adjustments are recommended. The only software I have (and I'm not that familiar with it yet) is "ACDSee For Pentax" and I upload my pics in Picasa.

If you can check out my 3 pictures (Star, Yellow Flower and Pink Rose) which I'll post seperately to avoid confusion as to which comments belong to which photos I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I've read some good things regarding "Noise Ninja" - would that help the image quality of these if I were to print?

Thanks!

Marc

Attached Images

03-19-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
wjt
Veteran Member

Hi marc and welcome the the forums, i am quite new too. I will say that i feel as though the iso is hurting that shot, if you have a tripod try retaking it with a longer shutter speed.
I just read an article in 'digital slr photography' magazine about the style of shots you are doing. They said iso 100, tripod and shutter release (these are cheap off ebay and there were some on our marketplace a couple of days ago) and also they recommended lighting with a LED torch. Instead of the shutter release you can just use the camera's timer. I think this will give a good place to start
03-19-2010, 09:29 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks mibane.... Good info. I appreciate it.
03-19-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Damn Brit

This would have been much better portrait style. You have centered the subject and there isn't enough space around it.
ISO is way too high, (ISO 100 for still life) and shutter speed is way too slow it has caused blurring.

Put Noise Ninja out of your mind, software like that is a tool, not a solution. Get the basics right and you'll have less need for those tools, especially for shots like this. They have their applications and with experience, you'll discover when you need to use them.

03-26-2010, 09:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

you could have opened up your aperture to like f4 and got about 1/40 shutter speed. I don't know your distance to the subject but if it was really close, you might be too wide at f4. If you weren't too close.... you would be good
03-27-2010, 02:00 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJB DIGITAL Quote
you could have opened up your aperture to like f4 and got about 1/40 shutter speed. I don't know your distance to the subject but if it was really close, you might be too wide at f4. If you weren't too close.... you would be good
Thanks for your feedback MJB - I agree. This was my first time using the camera and since taking this pic I've been reading up on aperture/ISO and shutter speed... next time I take shots like these I'll try opening up my aperture and lowering the ISO.
04-03-2010, 12:43 AM   #7

It appears you used natural or reflected light with a black backround, your exposure is good as is the directional lighting. If you didn't use a tripod, you should have, as this shot appears to be inside, and as was already mentioned a shutter release cable would be a must for a really sharp image. High ISO = noise, low ISO (100), tripod and shutter release cable + f11 to f22 will give you a sharp image with good DOF. Your composition can be choosen in post processing, even Picasa has a crop tool. (consider Adobe Photoshop Elements) Also I agree that you should get the basics down before trying to correct technique mistakes with software fixes.
This is a good attempt and I admire your courage to put it out there for critique.
04-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Dave. It was indoors with natural light coming in from the window. I used a tripod with the camera's self timer as I don't have a shutter release cable yet. Still working on learning the basics and the feedback (like yours) is helping me out. Thanks again!

04-07-2010, 06:56 PM   #9

Photos: Gallery
If I was taking that shot I would have changed this:
Lower ISO Probably 400ish range if it was that dark in the space
Opened aperture to a significantly smaller # (like the 5 range?)
Tried to keep the shutter speed around the 1/10th mark (I am comfortable shooting 1/6 or even slower but the faster the less chance of blurring, which I see a bit of in your shot)

Saw you mentioned tripod after writing this so here is my edited advice:
Drop ISO WAAAAAAAy down: 100 or 200
Aperture at the lenses good spot (generally in the 8-11 range)
shutter speed at whatever it takes to get the exposure right (15 second shots can give some great results)

Even without a shutter release button, you can take 30 second shots. Thats enough to brighten a dark city at night time. Surely enough for a rose in a dimly lit room.

Keep playing with it, try my advice, adjust as necessary and post another go. You can only get better by trying!
04-08-2010, 12:35 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forums Mark, your photo looks very good, but there are a few things that could have made it even better. Firstly, the composition could use a little work. I would have shot the flower from an angle looking down so that way you could see the flower pedals better. Secondly, I would have brought up the satuation a bit so the photo has a bit more pop. Other then that its a great image and I hope you enjoy your new camera.

Cory
04-13-2010, 05:39 AM   #11
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Others have accurately commented that you could have shot at a much lower ISO.

And you should try cropping this image a bit — perhaps from the left — to create a bit more interest by moving the flower away from the frame's center.

But — printed small — it is a lovely image. (While some photographers prefer backgrounds that aren't black, I often like them.)

I'm unsure what your specific point of focus was. It looks like it might have been in a leaf rather than in the flower. You might look at some of the other frames to see if there's one that's focused in the flower and which you might prefer.

You and other photographers might enjoy and learn from some of the images and comments in the Macro and Flora thread at www.birdphotographers.net. (Some of the site's privileges are free. Additional privileges come if you pay an annual membership charge.)

I look forward to seeing more of your photographs.