Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Pink Rose
Lens: 32.5mm Camera: Kx Photo Location: New York ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F5.6 

Hi - I'm very new to this... I just got my first DSLR (Kx) and was hoping to get some constructive critisium / guidance on how to take better pictures; and or fix them after I've taken them. I just figured out what PP stand for and was wondering what adjustments are recommended. The only software I have (and I'm not that familiar with it yet) is "ACDSee For Pentax" and I upload my pics in Picasa.

If you can check out my 3 pictures (Star, Yellow Flower and Pink Rose) which I'll post seperately to avoid confusion as to which comments belong to which photos I'd really appreciate it.

Also, I've read some good things regarding "Noise Ninja" - would that help the image quality of these if I were to print?

Thanks!

Marc

Attached Images

03-19-2010, 09:44 PM   #2
Damn Brit

ISO and shutter speed are too high and too slow again, get a tripod.
Keep your subjects out of the center, all the space around them is wasted.
Nix the Noise Ninja talk (see my comments in your other thread), if I see you mention it again I won't give you any feedback.

No need to refer to the other threads you've posted, if people want to comment on them all they'll see them and do so. Just the picture and the settings are all we need.

Go to the library and check out a few basic photography books. You want to learn the basics, exposure, the three settings (Shutter, Aperture and ISO) and how they relate to each other, depth of field (DOF) and composition.

Welcome to PF
03-19-2010, 09:50 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Brit - Already nixed the Noise Ninja... and lowering my ISO!

Thanks for the taking the time - and for explanining how to post in here
03-19-2010, 09:53 PM   #4
Damn Brit

You're welcome and I'm deadly serious about offering critique being a big help to improve your own pics.
There's a sticky thread at the top of this forum that will give you basic ideas how to look at a picture. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/86356-example-guidelines-critiquing.html

03-19-2010, 11:12 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Lighting is everything for such captures as these, so beyond the basics of the exposure triad and framing, read up on lighting through a tutorial like Strobist's Lighting 101 and 102.
03-20-2010, 04:54 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I'll check that out... thanks Ash
04-13-2010, 05:43 AM   #7
smf
Pentaxian

I think if you crop this severely from the left you will probably see significant benefit.

Printed small, I think it is a delightful image.

All best,
Stu

04-13-2010, 01:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

This is very nice, but those whites are a little too overexposed and the whole thing is distracting because of it. Try to cut down the presence of the leaves and the branch too.
04-13-2010, 03:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

As Gary said get a tripod so you can get good sharp looking photos. I would also crop out alot of the blank space on the left so more of the focus is on the flower.
« Disney Dash | Star »