Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-21-2010, 09:20 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Revisitation
Lens: 37.5mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Garage ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F19 

I plan to keep reshooting headhunter until I get it right, but in the meantime I've been playing with the potential "props" for future versions. This mostly consists of the aforementioned skull collection. New on the list of toys are a set of ebay radio flash triggers, which I'm enjoying quite a bit. Put it all together, and I came up with Revisitation.

(click for more sizes)

I'm thinking of making a series out of this theme. What do you think?

Last edited by er1kksen; 03-21-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: reduced size of image
03-21-2010, 10:07 AM   #2
Damn Brit

I had trouble making it out for a minute because the image is so long and won't fit on the screen, you might want to bear that in mind, a lot of us use laptops.

As an abstract image, it looks pretty good but I don't think that was exactly your intent.
I think that light source you used is too powerful and too close, you have some leakage out of the back of the skull and on the right. Maybe try getting the light further away so that the skull is bathed in the light, you might get some nice halo effects around the edges.
03-21-2010, 11:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I had trouble making it out for a minute because the image is so long and won't fit on the screen, you might want to bear that in mind, a lot of us use laptops.

As an abstract image, it looks pretty good but I don't think that was exactly your intent.
I think that light source you used is too powerful and too close, you have some leakage out of the back of the skull and on the right. Maybe try getting the light further away so that the skull is bathed in the light, you might get some nice halo effects around the edges.
Good point about the size. The image itself links to its page of flickr, where it's shown at a smaller size, if that helps.

I'm curious at what exactly you feel was my intent? The leakage you mention and intensity of the light coming through the hole in the middle is pretty much exactly what I was going for (aiming for it to look like the light is actually coming from within the skull, glowing out at all angles), with a secondary light further to the left to show the details of the skull (at a low angle for contrast).

Y'know, kind of like the deceased spirit of the creature is returning to occupy the skull. Something surreal and creepy like that. Maybe not quite abstract, but leaning that way.
03-21-2010, 11:45 AM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
Good point about the size. The image itself links to its page of flickr, where it's shown at a smaller size, if that helps.

I'm curious at what exactly you feel was my intent? The leakage you mention and intensity of the light coming through the hole in the middle is pretty much exactly what I was going for (aiming for it to look like the light is actually coming from within the skull, glowing out at all angles), with a secondary light further to the left to show the details of the skull (at a low angle for contrast).

Y'know, kind of like the deceased spirit of the creature is returning to occupy the skull. Something surreal and creepy like that. Maybe not quite abstract, but leaning that way.
I guessed that is what you were trying to do, but I think, having the full power of the beam coming directly thorough the hole is a bit overpowering. Perhaps if you angled the light so that what comes out of the skull is bounced rather than direct, you might get more of a halo effect that way. Does that make sense?

03-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I guessed that is what you were trying to do, but I think, having the full power of the beam coming directly thorough the hole is a bit overpowering. Perhaps if you angled the light so that what comes out of the skull is bounced rather than direct, you might get more of a halo effect that way. Does that make sense?
It makes sense, I'm just not sure how it would be accomplished. The flash power isn't adjustable, sadly, and there's not a very large opening to bounce the light around in. Then again, I suppose it's a matter of preference, since I like the current level of intensity.

Glad to have your thoughts on it, though. I have some other skulls to go through, maybe I'll try something similar but with a more subtle, less intense glow with one of the other ones.
03-21-2010, 12:05 PM   #6
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by er1kksen Quote
It makes sense, I'm just not sure how it would be accomplished. The flash power isn't adjustable, sadly, and there's not a very large opening to bounce the light around in. Then again, I suppose it's a matter of preference, since I like the current level of intensity.

Glad to have your thoughts on it, though. I have some other skulls to go through, maybe I'll try something similar but with a more subtle, less intense glow with one of the other ones.
A skull with more (but smaller) holes might be quite cool, you'll get more concentrated beams of light.
As for controlling the intensity, a piece of paper or even a coloured gel might work. One other thing about the intensity, if you can eliminate the light bouncing back to the ground in some way, I might see it differently.
Shooting from a different perspective as well might make things look different.
It's all subjective though isn't it? From your POV, you're trying to convey a message, from mine, I'm telling you what message I am (or am not) receiving.

BTW, composition is fine.
03-21-2010, 10:06 PM   #7
wjt
Veteran Member

do you need to use the remote flash? maybe a few of these i had one for work a while back, i think it was about AUD$5, probably cheaper ones on ebay, great little torch. Plus having the head swivel you could point it wherever you wanted.
Or if its small photon micro light (these are great on keyrings).. probably not great for lighting though unless you could position them with something..

Try maybe a tissue to soften the flash, or some cellophane for funky lighting.

I have no real idea what i am looking at though (obviously a skull), so i can't image the size of it, but these are just some ideas i though i would throw at you.

(this thought process has given me some great ideas of my own to shoot, thanks)

03-23-2010, 09:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the photo... if you wanted to soft it you could use the old child's sock trick... soft's the light and could add a glow...