Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-25-2010, 09:48 AM   #1

[untitled]
Lens: M 50mm/1.7 Camera: K200D ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/20s Aperture: F4 

The details on the wall are framed projections.

Comments are appreciated.

Attached Images

03-25-2010, 07:23 PM   #2
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I see no real focus point, my eyes are drawn to the girl, but she is out of focus. I think this would have worked better if you either shot with the girl out of the frame and shot just for the projection, or maybe focused on the girl and let the projection be secondary. I personally would have gone for the latter.
03-26-2010, 08:43 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think the shot is really interesting. It's just damn interesting.

I think the photo is cool. This isn't the kind of shot to get technical on, IMO.

But if I were going to... 8)

I would say the only thing would be to square up to the wall more so that the borders of the projection are parallel to the frame of the shot...which would have made it difficult to get the girl in.

Yeah cool shot.
03-26-2010, 12:14 PM   #4
Forum Member

It's a cool pic, I like the concept. For me, it doesn't quite work as well as it could. The out-of-focus, desaturated projection gives it a really nice retro feel. But I think the full staturation of the girl clashes with, rather than adds to the scene. And there's really nothing in focus. If the entire picture had the retro feel, I think you might be able to get away with the focus as it is--in fact, that may very well make it exceptional.

03-26-2010, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Scary & Creepy.. It reminds me of an asian horror..
I like it. Just make it focus
03-26-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
JMR
Veteran Member

Well, this certainly is interesting. And I agree with JMB, this is not about technical feats. It has an eerie quality to it. Is it an older girl looking at herself when young, or vice versa, a younger girl wishing she were older? There are some good comments to consider. When one breaks rules, the expression or statement has to come through. I am quite undecided.

JMR
03-26-2010, 11:45 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your comments.

A brief explanation:

I was trying to capture the interaction between the girl and the woman in the mirror. The story is that I was in a museum looking at this piece and noticed that the girl just in front of me was just as interested as I was. I had noticed the girl and her sister running around being kids but this piece really grabbed her attention.

The focus doesn't bother me personally, but I wanted to get the opinion of others. I might have liked to get the fish in the tank a little more crisp. I also want to see if the story is coming through.

I haven't decided on a title yet. I want to sort of push the story of two people at different places in their lives locked eyes were frozen for a moment.

The only post processing I did was to take some purple out, which really only affects the color of cloth under the fish tank. I had thought about how this might look in b+w or with some small changes but decided to get some comments before I butchered it too much.

zombiecat: I hadn't noticed the difference in saturation between the little girl and everything else. He skin tone is definitely not correct. I like the desaturated look. You seem to have a good idea of what I was trying to do with this shot so a big thanks again for your comment.