Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2010, 07:54 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bicycle Love
Lens: 50mm Camera: K1000 Photo Location: Vietnam ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F1.7 

K1K + Pentax-m 50mm 1.7 + Fujisuperia 200

This is the first time I tried 50mm 1.7, is it good
http://www.flickr.com/photos/phunghung/4476344854/

04-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think you missed the focus by a hair. The back right leg on the white board seems to be in focus to me. I like the effect, but a slight adjustment to focus, and a faster shutter speed to help with the blown highlights and it seems like a perfectly functional shot. I like the reflection on the table.
04-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
Damn Brit

I think the white card was a mistake, it overwhelms the bicycle and also the reflection. A black piece of card (going all the way down to the surface instead of floating) would make the bike stand out more and we would also see the reflection.
Moving it over to the left side of the frame would be better as well, the bike is facing to the right so giving it space on the right creates an illusion of motion, except that it is the viewers mind that moves. The fact that it is facing diagonally also helps with dividing the frame visually.
There is also that out of focus object running the width of the frame that is a distraction.
04-08-2010, 07:23 AM   #4

Looks like what you where really trying to do was just test your lens's DOF and used whatever was available on the table top. Take it outside and try testing your DOF on the street. You will probably find more interesting subject as well.

04-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I pretty much agree with all the comments here. The composition is creative and the DOF is good, but the white card does overwhelm the bike quite a bit. If you really want to try the DOF try using a black card or go outside and try some macro shots.

Cory