Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2010, 12:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

bmx sequence and skate ollie....
Camera: nikon D40 Photo Location: Worcester skatepark ISO: 200 

please any help would be great.

if you like them, why do you like them

more importantly, what can i do better. any input is appreciated!!

04-02-2010, 07:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You did a good job of stopping the action dead.

Unless the first guy is parrt of a triplet, you also did a good job of cloning.

I like it.
04-02-2010, 10:02 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
You did a good job of stopping the action dead.

Unless the first guy is parrt of a triplet, you also did a good job of cloning.

I like it.
Thanks, I try to get the timing exact, and thank goodness gor gimp tutorials.
04-03-2010, 03:32 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nick47 Quote
Thanks, I try to get the timing exact, and thank goodness gor gimp tutorials.
nice use of tutorials.

this is the tutorial I found/use for clone shots:
7 Steps to Taking Clone Photographs

04-04-2010, 02:50 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
sweet thanks man.
04-04-2010, 07:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
nice action shots, I like the first one, didn't even notice the clone until someone else pointed it out, so well done.

The only thing I would comment on is in the second shot, I like to see the skaters face, I like to see that concentration or panic. It is a good shot of him jumping, but just my take.
04-04-2010, 10:56 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks, I'll def. Keep in mind your advice next time shoot something like this. I'll take all the critism I can get.

04-04-2010, 11:12 PM   #8
Damn Brit

I think you missed a golden opportunity with the first one. The shot was the guy in the air over to the left of the frame without the top of his head cut off and his shadow diagonally opposite on the right hand side of the frame. The cloning is a parlour trick and only adds to the image if done creatively with a good image to start with. In this shot, the distance is too great for the cloning to be really effective and if anything, it makes the image unbalanced because all the weight is on the right.
You did a good job with the settings to get the right exposure and stop the action (that's assuming you weren't shooting on auto, in which case the camera did a good job.)
It helps if you provide the camera settings because we don't have to guess then.

The second one, you cropped quite a lot of it which suggests to me that you weren't close enough and as has already been mentioned, a front view would be much more interesting.

I'm assuming you are a skateboarder. If that's the case, you should be using your insider knowledge to get as close to the action as you safely can and anticipate the moves so that you can get good shots. These two shots are good examples of getting some things right and some things wrong, they give you a reference point to work from, keepit up.
04-05-2010, 10:10 PM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks man for taking the time for the input, i really appreciate it. i eat up all the critism i can get
04-08-2010, 12:42 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I think you did a great job on the shots, my one comment would be to try and shoot your subjects with sun at your back so your subject is lit better. Other then that great work!
04-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I'm kind of with Damn Brit on this one with respect to the cloning - the sequence doesn't really tell a vivid story, especially since the lips and ramps that the rider is jumping is hidden from your point of view. If anything, the last shot in the sequence without the clones might be more interesting in and of itself, since it will force the viewer to think, "how the hell did he do that and which direction is he going?"

In any case, I look at the situation and wonder what the sequence would look like from another point of view. Imagine, for example, being positioned by the "Team Savage" and "S.I.O Kills it!!!" graffiti, on your belly, preferably, to help exaggerate the air the rider catches. And with a wide angle lens. And with 5 or 6 clones. The sun will be at your back, the rider well exposed, the ramps and lips connecting the story, and hopefully you don't get run over by another rider dropping in LOL!
04-20-2010, 07:07 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have done a little bit of skateboard shooting and it is a harder gig than it looks. The good thing is they practice a lot so you can practice a lot. Here are a few random comments.

Find an angle. Often the background is dead boring, like in these shots. A chain fence. Other random people. These are things that will distract, but a good angle cuts them out.

This can also make the session more interactive. You can get a good energy going with the skaters. If you get down on your back you can have them jump over you. Get an angle from underneath! Do tricks together! Skaters naturally love photographers since all their mags are full of cool shots they want to be in.

Pick your depth of field. This is another great way to eliminate annoying background elements and also be creative with bokeh. In these shots you have very deep DOF and it is not needed. Shallower DOF also helps you get your shutter speed up. (Though it seems you had no problem with that.)

Go for motion blur! This sport is dynamic and capturing the motion is what it is all about. Instead of the cloning trick, signify movement with actual (unfaked) motion blur. For this a tripod is useful, especially a deadly small one that won't get in anyone's way. Place it somewhere cool and trigger it via IR. If it's bright you might need some neutral density filters to slow things down.

Go for the drama. Big jumps are wonderful if you can emphasise the scale. Grab a wacky in-air posture. Shoot spills, crashes and mistakes. Capture the expressions in people's faces. Don't forget to shoot spectators too!

Post-process your heart out. There is nothing sacred in this sport; it's all about pushing the image envelope. Get graphic. Get bold. Get wacky.

Here are some examples from a competition I shot. They could really be improved but maybe they demonstrate some of what I am talking about. I was severely limited here by the fact I had to shoot from the audience. I also had a set of batteries fail for no reason and so had to run to a store to get more. (Yes, I had two sets but one was low for no good reason.) This meant I missed some of the contest and lost my position at the fence. Click through for larger versions. Shot with the K100D Super.

Have fun the next time!

Fall

(Shot with the FA 77mm Limited.)

Broken

(Shot with the Sigma 70-300mm.)

Jump

(Shot with the Sigma 70-300mm.)

Spin

(Shot with the DA 16-45mm.)
04-21-2010, 12:11 AM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I took a look at those pictures, I'm definately taking notes after all the advice and the shots you got at that comp. Thanks for allll the advice.
04-21-2010, 08:48 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think you missed a golden opportunity with the first one. The shot was the guy in the air over to the left of the frame without the top of his head cut off and his shadow diagonally opposite on the right hand side of the frame. The cloning is a parlour trick and only adds to the image if done creatively with a good image to start with. In this shot, the distance is too great for the cloning to be really effective and if anything, it makes the image unbalanced because all the weight is on the right.
You did a good job with the settings to get the right exposure and stop the action (that's assuming you weren't shooting on auto, in which case the camera did a good job.)
It helps if you provide the camera settings because we don't have to guess then.

The second one, you cropped quite a lot of it which suggests to me that you weren't close enough and as has already been mentioned, a front view would be much more interesting.
Interesting observation, and I concur.
Take note of rparmar's comment. This is comes from an experience skateboarder as well as photographer.

I like your second picture. For the first picture, I believe cropping the head of the bike rider is too much. A picture with the top of the rider's head intact woul be better, IMO.

Cheers.