Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
"A" Web
Lens: 180mm Camera: Pentax K20D Photo Location: My place @ Braidwood NSW Australia ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F4 

Testing out the Sigma 100-300/4 w/- APO EX 1.4x TC. This was a shot to test the IQ of the combination.

Please note: the Sigma TC doesn't transmit data to the camera, so the aperture and focal length details above are without factoring in the x1.4 math.

04-07-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Why would you put an IQ test shot up for critique? Also, no matter how good a TC you have, it will degrade IQ, Testing it on a 100-300 lens at 180mm seems pretty pointless to me, because 180 x 1.4 = 252, you were shooting within the focal range of the lens.
04-07-2010, 02:19 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Fair call. I should have been more pointed in my description. I was out testing the long Sigma zoom with the recently bought TC. I mainly tried it out on birds - which is subject to another critique - and I came across this opportunity. I simply grabbed the shot while all was intact, without thinking to remove the TC. I still thought the shot was a reasonable one and thought I'd share it.

But, again, point taken not a relevant 'technical' lens test shot.
04-07-2010, 02:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

From a non-tech shot kinda of view...

I like it, just a few little things...

1) Are the webs over exposed, or is it artifacts from the TC?

2) The brown knob stick thing in the bottom right is a little distracting.

3) Could you have moved the web around to improve the flow across the frame; it starts a from little the left, and ends before the right.

4) The A is clever, but could be larger, possible a different crop?

I don't follow a lot of spider webs, but I think it was neat, first A web I've seen.

04-07-2010, 06:47 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Agree with icywarm while adding this:
I think even if you had used a smaller aperture to get a bit more DOF that would have helped. Not small enough to get feet in depth, just a few more inches so the entire web was in focus, while leaving the rest blurred, probably would have made the shot a bit better.
I do like it though. Great idea.
04-10-2010, 06:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

This is a great start to a well composed photo. It would be really cool to get the spider if you see it next time.
04-15-2010, 02:20 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All,

Thanks for the constructive critique, it does encourage me to get out there and give it another go....this time with the Tammy 90mm

Tuner - In regard to your request to:
QuoteQuote:
It would be really cool to get the spider if you see it next time
Well I did find the spider but it inconveniently spoils the affect....as it messes with the dew. Here's evidence

04-15-2010, 09:33 AM   #8
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Now you'll have me looking for letters in the spider webs I find.
Thanks.
All best,
Stu

04-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Now you'll have me looking for letters in the spider webs I find.
Yeah Stu just don't look too deeply into it otherwise you might discover the insect world is trying to tell us something.....especially once you find words and sentences spelled our through a series of webs
04-15-2010, 04:26 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Crop up the rest of the stuff in the original photo. Just leave the web. The web is really all that you need anyways. If you do that, I think it'll look just fine too.