Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-06-2010, 05:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Corner Cherry Blossoms
Lens: 11mm Camera: K-x ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F8 

04-06-2010, 08:27 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Not sure why the 1600 ISO on this shot and for some reason that little tree is the back left is drawing my eye away from the large tree. I may have moved to the left to eliminate the tree but each to his own.
04-06-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbo Quote
Not sure why the 1600 ISO on this shot and for some reason that little tree is the back left is drawing my eye away from the large tree. I may have moved to the left to eliminate the tree but each to his own.

I have a shot from the left but there is a tree on each corner of the building so you would have seen the other. I was just trying to get centered with the little block there at the edge of the sidewalk.
04-07-2010, 12:12 AM   #4
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
I have a shot from the left but there is a tree on each corner of the building so you would have seen the other. I was just trying to get centered with the little block there at the edge of the sidewalk.
If there is one on each corner, why not include both of them? That will give the big tree a little room to breathe on each side of the frame. As for getting "centered with the little block there at the edge of the sidewalk", you should be careful about picking up on something like that as a basis for your image. It's easy to lose sight of the big picture that way.
I too am baffled at the 1600 ISO, why did you do that?

04-07-2010, 03:43 AM   #5
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can only suppose that you didn't mean to have ISO at 1600 and didn't quite pay attention to that setting for the shot.
In any case, for a FE result, it's pleasant - reasonably well balanced and with a good colour complement. Bold contrast, but looks slightly overexposed and composed with perhaps a little too much empty space above.
I'd suggest a more square crop, taking off some from below also, where the irregular pavement section on the right takes a little too much attention in the image.
04-07-2010, 01:49 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The ISO 1600 actually wasn't an accident. I know the K-x has great high ISO handling and I couldn't use my tripod because the mount plate somehow got left at home. So with this being hand held I just wanted to make sure there would be no blur. I probably could have done with ISO 400.
04-07-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Damn Brit

I probably could have done with ISO 400.
Well, you were shooting at 11mm so with SR, 1/15 sec would have been ok unless you have difficulty holding the camera steady, 1/30 would have been ample. For shots like this, you really need to start at 100 (or 200 on the K-X) and then work your way up if you can't get a suitable shutter speed. The FE has quite a large DOF so you might even have got away with a larger aperture as well, f/5.6 or f/6.3.
Look at it this way, you won't find your or the camera's limits by erring on the side of caution. It's not like you are wasting film, you don't have to take just one picture. The high ISO capabilities of the camera should be considered your last option.
04-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #8
Ash
Community Manager

Tim, consider the heirarchy of setting priorities - simply: start at ISO 100, adjust aperture to desired DoF, ensure shutter speed is fast/slow enough for intended effect, boost ISO only if shutter speed is unacceptable for a sharp image, whether to control for handholding or fast-action captures.

Gary's suggestion in your case is correct in this regard.

04-08-2010, 07:00 AM   #9

So you have heard enough about your high ISO error. The image is beautiful. Like DB said if there is another tree on each corn and you can't eliminate both, include both. Maybe even landscape orientation and lose some of the sky sense ther are not clouds to enhance it. Maybe even just set on the that corner block and shoot up at the tree.
04-08-2010, 12:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I really like the colors in this shot, but I feel that there is to much sky in the top of the image and the tree to the left is slightly distracting. Other then that the photo is very good, however, I am confused on the use of high ISO for this shot.

Cory
04-09-2010, 07:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm gonna go back and reshoot this sometime this weekend if I can. I'll try to do it later in the day so there are no cars on the street and shoot it in landscape and try to get both of the other trees in the frame.
04-09-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
Pentaxian

It's a beautiful photo. Others have noted various ways you may try to improve it, but don't let that detract from your enjoyment of this one.

There's a huge pool of knowledge here and they can only help you improve your photography. But, listen to the voice inside as well. If you love a photo, you love it.

I'm interested to hear what you think once you try some suggestions and see the various results.

Cheers!
04-10-2010, 05:51 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm gonna go back and reshoot this sometime this weekend if I can. I'll try to do it later in the day so there are no cars on the street and shoot it in landscape and try to get both of the other trees in the frame.
where did you shoot this photo ?
04-10-2010, 09:14 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Is it the tree on the left that draws our eye, or rather is it the light coloured sky from the lower horizon vs what was in the right of the frame, which was darked building and concrete. I think the images flows down hill from right to center to left.
04-12-2010, 01:48 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tokyoso Quote
where did you shoot this photo ?
In my town...Mexico, Missouri

QuoteOriginally posted by icywarm Quote
Is it the tree on the left that draws our eye, or rather is it the light coloured sky from the lower horizon vs what was in the right of the frame, which was darked building and concrete. I think the images flows down hill from right to center to left.

You know...you're right and I never even saw it til I just looked for it. There's no clouds in the sky today either so I am gonna hold off on reshooting this til there are some.