Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2010, 06:30 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Vegas Towers
Lens: 18mm Camera: K20D Photo Location: Las Vegas ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/8s Aperture: F3.5 

I took this show while walking around Las Vegas as dusk. It was nearing dark, shot was taken handheld, no framing or advanced composition consideration was taken, just a quick glance saw a good photo op. There is absolutely NO photoshopping done to this picture. I only shrunk the image to fit the screen better (30% of original size) NOTHING else was done to this photo.

This is one I am proud of having taken!

What do you think?

04-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The blues comes up very well nice composition and compsure TFS

cheers
04-07-2010, 08:38 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment Cupic.

I do want to add that the reason I did no PP is that I do not feel any was necessary. To me at least this was a case of picture perfect straight out of the camera.
Do you agree? Disagree? Why?
04-07-2010, 09:37 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I don't think I've seen these before. Anyways, get rid of whatever that is on the left, just crop it out. It's a bit distracting and doesn't add much to the photo. I actually like the blue though.

04-07-2010, 09:44 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by MoparFreak69 Quote

I do want to add that the reason I did no PP is that I do not feel any was necessary. To me at least this was a case of picture perfect straight out of the camera.
Do you agree? Disagree? Why?

Is your monitor callibrated, do you want to print it, did you shoot RAW or JPEG? You have some blown highlights where detail is lost and there is a slight yellow colour cast. If you only want to view it small then it's probably ok but saying that no PP is performed is not anything to brag about, your vision ends after the PP otherwise, it's very much an image produced by Pentax.
04-07-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
Forum Member

The dynamic range makes it tough to get a good exposure on everything. I would have tried to isolate things a bit more so you don't have blown highlights in order to capture the shadows. Actually, I did try this a few weeks ago: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photo-critique/94151-architecture-blue-hour-angles.html

Not that my version is the be-all-end-all, but it was much easier to get a better exposure. I'm shooting from the bottom of the stairs across the street.

I do like the blue hour capture. You might consider cropping just above the street. I think the street scene detracts from the architecture.

BTW, I tried capturing just the Aria (the two buildings toward the left with the blown-out tops), and I couldn't get them to look right. I tried blending multiple exposures to get both the highlights and the shadows, but I haven't been able to make it look natural. That's a tough one.
04-07-2010, 11:40 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mopar, interesting shot with dramatic light, but IMO it's in serious need of cropping. Way too much street in the foreground with nothing going on, and the people on the left look like an afterthought plus they pull the eye away from the vertical lines. And since you're already "cropped" part of the background building with the left-side foreground building, might as well come in more on the left and up from the bottom,
Brian

04-08-2010, 06:26 AM   #8

The time of evening was perfect. The blues in the sky came out good. Like others said the peds on the left need to go. Or step back and let them be your forground. Alternatively, wait for a taxi or a really sharp car to come by. using tahe cars in the background as an example though, you will have headlights coming at you.
04-08-2010, 06:29 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Excellent photo! Just crop out the eve of the building on the left and it will be perfect!
04-08-2010, 03:52 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I really like this shot, the blues in the sky really compliment the buildings well and everything is in focus. To me this photo looks great as it is, well done.

Cory
04-08-2010, 09:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I like the composition of the shot but the man in the lower left corner bugs me because he is all blurry and the rest of the picture is tack sharp. Cropping above his head I feel would ruin the composition and feel of the photo. Doesn't look like it would be much fun trying to clone him out either.