Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 05:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
18 month old baby girl
Camera: K10C Photo Location: my backyard ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F2.8 

The youngest with 3 big brothers, so she will always be my "baby" girl.

anyway, found a new spot in the yard to do pictures and I"m just wondering if these work or not. Please CC everything. (It was near impossible to get any kind of eye contact from her, so this was the best of the set)

Both taken with my Sigma 28-70 mm F2.8 lens and I didn't realize until I uploaded them that my ISO was at 800 for some reason.

04-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #2
Damn Brit

Cute portraits Beth,you have a great little model. Exposure is good, but I think playing around to create a little more contrast would make the pictures look even better because they are a bit on the bright side. Focus is nice and sharp as well.
They are both a little too centered, in the first one the space between her and the right hand edge of the frame is wasted, you could have had her pink top and shoulder coming out of the corner and that would have looked better I think because then, al the negative space would be on the other side of the frame. In the second one, turning her to her right a little so that her body formed a slight diagonal dissecting the frame would have made a better shot both compositionally and artistically and it wouldn't have mattered so much that she wasn't looking at the camera.

The only thing I don't like are those scratches in the fence, it's worse in the second shot because they make a semi circle dissecting her head.I know that they are fairly feint and not too distracting (to start with anyway) but once you know they are there, you can't ignore them and they do become distracting.
04-08-2010, 11:47 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Thank you. The pictures were actually taken on the porch of my husbands shop. So the scratches are from an old rusty star I had hanging. When it moved from the wind it made that mark. I saw them once I uploaded them here, but was wondering if they bothered anyone else. I wonder if I could clone them out. I may try. The porch is a mess right now, but when it's fixed up it's actually an awesome, rustic looking spot. I am trying to get it all cleaned up so I can pull back some for dif. shots. I am hoping to have it cleaned up by this weekend, and have nice weather so I can try again. (I had it cleaned up real cool a few years ago and got an awesome picture of my Bullmastif pup up there. I'd like to take similar shots with all my kids)

I will use your ideas next time I get to shoot out there, thanks so much for taking the time!