Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-08-2010, 10:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Fort Pulaski
Lens: 23mm Camera: K 7 Photo Location: Georgia, USA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/30s Aperture: F11 

I love the colors of this old fort. The interior especially is filled with lovely pinks, reds, and violets from the worn old brick. This one is obviously taken from the outside. The moat completely surrounds it. I haven't touched it in pp and wonder if I should. I've also been trying to work more on the rule of thirds and am hoping this complies.

Click for larger view

Thanks for any help you can provide, Susan

04-08-2010, 11:55 AM   #2

Hmmm I'm not sure how the rule of the thirds was applied here, to me the water and the fort almost formed to be one entity because of the angle. The lovely colors of the fort didn't really "come out" for me
04-08-2010, 12:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Unfortunately, I have to agree with shawn on this one. The photo is missing the pop from the vibrant colors. I would try and bump up the exposure in PP and then increase color satuation until it looks good.

Hope this helps,
Cory
04-08-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
Damn Brit

Hi Susan, compositionally I think you missed it I'm afraid. The obvious shot to me would be to have the top of that wall coming out of the top left corner so that the wall and the water make some nice diagonals going through the frame. Once you had that, it wouldn't matter too much what else was in the frame.
With what you have, the horizon is tilted and I found that by straightening it, the whole shot felt a lot better and if you crop out the grass on the right as well (there's so little of it that it's distracting) it tightens things up and the lines in the image become more noticeable and the picture is definitely better for it.
It's quite underexposed and lacking in contrast so some of the detail in the reflection is lost and the sky is over saturated. These things can be fixed though and you'll see a noticeable difference.

04-09-2010, 05:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Shawn, Cory and Gary. Your comments are a big help and they sure answer the questions as to whether I should do any PP.
Gary, I hope life is treating your well. We have been traveling so I haven't been posting much. Will definetely try the crop - can't believe I missed the darn tilted horizon. The sky however was actually that shade of blue so I'm not responsible for the oversat. (Insert smiley here)
Thanks again all
04-10-2010, 07:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well, the first thought when I saw this was that there wasn't much here to draw my attention. That isn't going to say that this is a bad photo, technically it's actually pretty good, but otherwise it's just not much to gather interest. You could try getting some different crops and maybe boosting the contrast to make it pop a little more, that might help.
04-11-2010, 06:59 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
Well, the first thought when I saw this was that there wasn't much here to draw my attention. That isn't going to say that this is a bad photo, technically it's actually pretty good, but otherwise it's just not much to gather interest. You could try getting some different crops and maybe boosting the contrast to make it pop a little more, that might help.
Thanks for the comments jct us 101. I may have just gotten caught up in the moment. Maybe I'll just hang on to it as a snapshot of the day. This is a wonderful old fort and the only one I know of in the US that has the moat (with alligators) still up and running. One of these days I am going to get a shot of the outside that will do it justice. Again, thank you for your help, Susan

04-12-2010, 07:44 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hi Susan, compositionally I think you missed it I'm afraid. The obvious shot to me would be to have the top of that wall coming out of the top left corner so that the wall and the water make some nice diagonals going through the frame. Once you had that, it wouldn't matter too much what else was in the frame.
I agree with that! Now it's like a guillotine has cut of the picture . The exposure is well done. Maybe an polarizer will help to make the water reflect more.
04-12-2010, 10:12 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for commenting Corros. Believe it or not, I was using a polarizer. Time of day didn't help any as far as the relections go. I'm sure we will return to the fort many more times and I will try to get it right someday.