Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Inactive Account

first time taking a portrait (baby content)
Lens: 5.0mm Camera: nikon D40 ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F2.8 

i just got an sb-26 and still learning how to use it. this is the first portraits ive tried out. let me know what i can do beter thanks! r if you like it, what do you like about it?

natural sunlight, the sky was 100% cloudy, no flash used here

f/8 25mm iso 200 1/50th flash output- 1/32 bounced off a large white piece of cardboard

04-09-2010, 10:17 PM   #2
Ash
Community Manager

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good sharpness and detail in these.
Baby photos are difficult from the unpredictability of the baby and their uncooperative nature.
But you did alright - a little flat on the contrast and dull overall result with slightly distracting backgrounds. Otherwise, good results.
04-09-2010, 10:34 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks. i wasnt sure how to really get a good contrast between the light and black, so it came out kinda grey and greyer instead of black and white. the only think i can think of to get rid of the dullness was to maybe higher f/stop number. im not sure though?
04-09-2010, 10:51 PM   #4

A little more light on the second shot. Maybe a white card to reflect some light into the right. Enough to give some depth. Both images could use just enough added light to show the detail in the hair so it's seperated from the black background.

04-09-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
ohh I see, yea the hair does dissapear into the backround.
04-10-2010, 09:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

what things like the thumb in the middle of the chest of the second photo.

Thumb would be ok, but the french tips really draw the eye and it is about the only absolute white on the frame.

And I agree this guys got mad hair for a child I think... and little hair light adds. Portraits of children are for the grandparents, etc... and well these are artistically pleasing, the client likely wants to see the whole face, etc...
04-15-2010, 11:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Very nice shots here, my favorite is definitely the first with those big eyes. However, there are a few things that I would change. Firstly, watch what is in your background; the blinds in the first are slightly distracting and take away from the image. Secondly, I think i see a little bit of slobber on his chin. I know that he is a baby, but try to keep him looking clean throughout the shoot. While I like the black and white treatment the pictures are still a little on the dark side, especially the second one. It looks like the darkness is trying to swallow him up so a little more lighting would have looked good here. Other then those things the photos look very nice, one thing I really like is the look in his eyes. You captured them very well and really make the picture, I hope my suggestions help you out and thanks for sharing.

Cory
04-16-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Very nice shots here, my favorite is definitely the first with those big eyes. However, there are a few things that I would change. Firstly, watch what is in your background; the blinds in the first are slightly distracting and take away from the image. Secondly, I think i see a little bit of slobber on his chin. I know that he is a baby, but try to keep him looking clean throughout the shoot. While I like the black and white treatment the pictures are still a little on the dark side, especially the second one. It looks like the darkness is trying to swallow him up so a little more lighting would have looked good here. Other then those things the photos look very nice, one thing I really like is the look in his eyes. You captured them very well and really make the picture, I hope my suggestions help you out and thanks for sharing.

Cory
Yes, thankyou very much for taking the time to look at my pictures and give your input. As a new photographer every piece of advice is like gold. I will defineately use more lighting next time and keep a cleaner face. And thanks for the input about the backround with the shades, I wasn't sure if it helped or hurt the picture.

04-18-2010, 07:32 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Well you've certainly got one of the most important part of photography down - knowing when to trip the shutter. The expression in each of the photos is very special - well done!

The first one is especially intriguing. I don't know about others here, but when I take pictures of kids, once in a while I come up with one where you get to glimpse an older face in a younger child. I don't notice it at first, and I'm not fine-tuned enough to try to capture it, but later on I will look at the photo and think, "that expression...that's what this kid will look like when they are a thirty-something or forty-something!" It's as if their older, more mature face is latent and already there, hidden among the baby skin, big eyes, and chubby cheeks!

I think that you've stumbled upon that here in the first one. Well done! I also like the blinds as they provide a counterpoint and contrast and light source for the look. The only thing that puzzles a little bit is the nondescript blob just behind. I'm not sure what it is and it's not very attractive. But when you are in a non-studio situation you sometimes just have to live with the environment. Had you tried to move it, you may have missed the expression. Had you tried to reposition - i.e., to the right so that the blob is hidden behind the child's head - you may have changed the perspective enough to lose what you captured. So I say Photoshop it out and call it a day!

Well done!
04-19-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks for the input, I didn't notice that blob at first. Now I just have to work on my photoshop game