Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Kait
Camera: k20 Photo Location: Parking Garage 

On Thursday last week I met up with a local model looing to expand her portfolio, and I was looking to fill some time before my course starts at school. I had some lighting Ideas I wanted to try out...

Anyway, here is a sample of 3 of the outfits we went with...

I look forward to hear what you all have to say, and i appreciate the time you take to comment

04-10-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I like the first and third ones the most, the second one doesn't really have much interest in it. The first one is a little odd with her hair though, if there wasn't such a strong backlight against it then it would probably look better like that. The last one is pretty good, not much I have to say about changing it though.
04-10-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I have absolutely no idea how to shoot models but I think you are getting some things right and others not so. The first shot is certainly not so flattering. But my general query is whether you should work more with eye contact? It doesn't have to be direct -- but so often if one sees the eyes one sees the person. Maybe that is why #2 is the least successful.
04-10-2010, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Guys!

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
I like the first and third ones the most, the second one doesn't really have much interest in it. The first one is a little odd with her hair though, if there wasn't such a strong backlight against it then it would probably look better like that. The last one is pretty good, not much I have to say about changing it though.
The second one was shot like that for a reason, wanted to go with that kind of dark look from her, she's such a happy girl I wanted to see if we could pull it off. With a bit of PP I think it might get the proper feel. The first one was a lighting test which i just like for some odd reason, The lighting was too strong and I turned it down from there.

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
I have absolutely no idea how to shoot models but I think you are getting some things right and others not so. The first shot is certainly not so flattering. But my general query is whether you should work more with eye contact? It doesn't have to be direct -- but so often if one sees the eyes one sees the person. Maybe that is why #2 is the least successful.
I fully agree with you, and for the record, I have no idea how to shoot models....I shoot cars 99% of the time This was an attempt at working with a beautiful model and for a start it was good. I know there is always things I don't see so I had to post it here and ask.

04-11-2010, 12:48 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The background doesn't work for me. Your lighting seems fairly good. This was probably just good practice for both of you. I like the first one. Maybe some back lighting on the lower portion of her coat to highlight and seperate it from the black background. Study some model poses from any mag or online and have her duplicate some of those.
04-11-2010, 07:06 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I too like the first and the third. Your lighting isn't too bad, but it is slightly harsh for my liking. I will also comment on the models eye contact as I like her looking at the camera instead of away from it.
04-11-2010, 07:36 AM   #7

Great model! Great pictures. The only comment I have is to 'decentralize' the person a little bit more. Then there is some space in the place she is looking to. Then the picture will have more dynamics.
04-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks guys! All great points, keep them coming

04-13-2010, 05:46 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I like the 3rd one best of the 3. If the 2nd one had the eye contact of the 1st, I would like more.
04-25-2010, 10:44 PM   #10

got my vote on the second photo. i like the emotion expressed within those closed eyes. for me emotion makes a portrait stand out. shadow casts is just right but little blur on the background won't hurt. more light on the face to highlight the eyes...
04-26-2010, 10:08 AM   #11
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I like the first and second the best. The third seems more "posed" or staged.
05-18-2010, 07:31 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Great shots!

1.) Crop is a bit centred and the expression isn't flattering. Lighting is very good.

2.) Best shot of the group. Love the cropping/lighting/expression. If I was to suggest anything I'd probably add some vignetting and I'd drop the saturation down to about 90% (she's wearing colours in the same palette as the wall and this would help blend her in a bit more - which would fit the mood and expression).

3.) Lighting/crop/pose are all good - expression though is lacking. She looks bored stiff in this one and it really detracts from the overall image.

c[_]
05-18-2010, 11:48 PM   #13

On the first image I would had liked to seen some more light on the face, I have no idea how to create it without messing up the shadows though
05-19-2010, 03:35 AM   #14
Ash
Community Manager

Good work Gaelen.
They work, although the each have an aspect that make them not quite stand out IMO.
#1 is creatively lit with the backlight but she is lost in the frame a little - she is also a little too central for my liking.
#2 has good soft lighting but loses interest in the disconnected expression.
#3 is a little too harsly lit and as such has turned out a little flat in texture - as mentioned she also didn't engage much in the poses.
05-20-2010, 11:02 AM   #15
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks ash

All points I noticed later on...and ones I fixed in the more recent shoot I did well I hope I did haha