Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-10-2010, 11:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Uhm.. A purple flower?
Lens: 70mm Camera: Pentax K-7 Photo Location: on the streets of Ann Arbor ISO: 160 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F4.5 

So long story short, I saw a pretty flower, remembered my dad wants some pretty flower pictures (taken by me, of course ), and so I took a picture.
Now, I'm not sure if I like it or not. I'd like your advice

My thoughts about it: I'd like the flower to "pop" a bit more from the background, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I tried desaturating the background flowers a bit - but that doesn't do much (while keeping photo realistic). Some sharpening, enhancing microcontrast on the flower - still, feels kinda bland. Background is also quite "busy" - distracting.
From camera/lens point of view, I think I could have used a larger aperture to separate the background a bit more - but then right now the flower is nicely in focus...

What do you think? I'd appreciate some comments and critique.

Last edited by pbo; 04-10-2010 at 11:11 PM.
04-11-2010, 12:39 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your own observations are correct. If you can go back and do it again. get higher on the flower so you have more of a top view. I highlights are almost blown out and the individual blossoms have no separation. Maybe more contrast will help. Try to manipulate the lighting so the background is a couple stops darker. You can try that with this image as well. Instead of desaturating the background, darken it.
04-11-2010, 01:10 AM   #3
Veteran Member

This is a really good flower, actually. I think the exposure works pretty well on it, maybe being a little too overexposed, but not too much to where it really makes a difference. Actually, I think I like this exactly the way it is.
04-11-2010, 07:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I actually really like this shot! The flower is slightly blown out but that can be fixed. I also really like the background with all the different colors, but I would say that it may be a tad busy for my liking.

04-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hm, seems like everybody's saying it's overexposed! It looks like I need to calibrate my monitor...
I'll see what icould do about it next time I pass by that bush
04-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Well if it matters I don't think it's overexposed, just a little bright. But I think it looks perfectly normal too, so I guess I might need to do that too.
04-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
My thoughts about it: I'd like the flower to "pop" a bit more from the background, but I'm not sure how to accomplish that. I tried desaturating the background flowers a bit - but that doesn't do much (while keeping photo realistic). Some sharpening, enhancing microcontrast on the flower - still, feels kinda bland. Background is also quite "busy" - distracting.
From camera/lens point of view, I think I could have used a larger aperture to separate the background a bit more - but then right now the flower is nicely in focus...
It is a nice enough shot and you are being picky... which is the only way to improve. I would add that there are leaves that seem to be sharper than the petals. My eye is drawn to these instead of what you (presumably) want to be the true subject.

I think trying a different focal plane and being more on top of the plant would indeed work, as might decreasing the DOF a bit. It is harder to shoot plants than it looks. I was trying myself for a couple hours Saturday.

04-11-2010, 09:25 PM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteQuote:
Well if it matters I don't think it's overexposed, just a little bright. But I think it looks perfectly normal too, so I guess I might need to do that too.
Yeah, I've been doing it by sort of guesstimating - Windows 7 has a pretty basic tool for calibrating monitor... I may need a more sophisticated method now

QuoteQuote:
It is a nice enough shot and you are being picky... which is the only way to improve. I would add that there are leaves that seem to be sharper than the petals. My eye is drawn to these instead of what you (presumably) want to be the true subject.
Oh, didn't notice that... I selectively sharpened the flower itself and the sharp leaves surrounding it - guess I'll just mask the leaves off the mask. I'll see what happens then.

QuoteQuote:
I think trying a different focal plane and being more on top of the plant would indeed work, as might decreasing the DOF a bit. It is harder to shoot plants than it looks. I was trying myself for a couple hours Saturday.
04-12-2010, 05:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pbo Quote
Yeah, I've been doing it by sort of guesstimating - Windows 7 has a pretty basic tool for calibrating monitor... I may need a more sophisticated method now
I updated to Windows 7 earlier this year and was very impressed that Microsoft included this tool. I think it's about as good as you can get without buying hardware. Certainly my old Samsung monitor has never looked better!