Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Union Covered Bridge
Camera: K-x ISO: 800 

The only covered bridge in Missouri that I've had the privilege of photographing. It's in pretty rough shape because people vandalize it all the time.

Adding another...basically the same shot...little more PP and landscape view.

Last edited by timstone; 04-11-2010 at 08:15 PM.
04-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is very nice, I'm not sure what to give you suggestions on actually. I think the colors might be a little dull, maybe increasing the contrast would be the best way to go. I like the second photo more, the first one doesn't quite feel in place.
04-12-2010, 01:35 AM   #3
wjt
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The landscape one is definitely more appealing than the portrait version. The first is dull though the second is more vibrant.
The perspective of the second i find more visually apealing, i think mostly due to the beams on the side having a starting point as opposed to the first where they are cut off just before they meet the floor. When i look at it i see the light at the end then drawn to the bottom right.
04-12-2010, 05:58 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shot, I like the effect of the fisheye lens. However, trying adding some more contrast and saturation to bring out more color and shadows. Give this a shot and post up your revised photo.

04-12-2010, 01:45 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The one in landscape has a touch more contrast but I didn't mess with saturation at all....I'll give it a go on that one and post up the new one.
04-12-2010, 02:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok...how is this one?

04-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #7

The last you really nailed it. However, the light at the end of the tunel is a little out of context. Either exploit it more by making it flare or silloette a person. If the scene on the other end is pleasing, expose a shot for that and bring the two together.

04-12-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I think your latest version is just great!
Good job and an interesting subject.
04-12-2010, 07:05 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
The last you really nailed it. However, the light at the end of the tunel is a little out of context. Either exploit it more by making it flare or silloette a person. If the scene on the other end is pleasing, expose a shot for that and bring the two together.

What about possibly just burning it to make it darker? Do you think that would work? Or any ideas as to what I could use for a silhouette? Maybe an old and young person holding hands?
04-13-2010, 06:52 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by timstone Quote
What about possibly just burning it to make it darker? Do you think that would work? Or any ideas as to what I could use for a silhouette? Maybe an old and young person holding hands?
There is probably no detail left in the white spot even if you shot it in RAW. But if there is then dodging it until the details come out might work. The sihoutette of an old and young person holding hands soundls like a winner. And you could even add it to your current image.
04-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Pretty cool. The vandalizing is ashamed though. It mars the bridge and now your photograph. Since there aren't a lot of colors in the picture to begin with you might considering reducing saturation to reduce the impact of the graffiti or maybe just reduce the red channel. Alternately you can go full black & white with some higher contrast too.

Finally, the distortion of the first few planks is a little distracting to me and competes with the thrust of the arched supports and light at the end of the tunnel. You might consider cropping them out.

All in all well done!
04-21-2010, 07:46 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
IMO, the landscape one is definitely nicer compared with the portrait version. The first post has dull colours, but after you plated with the contrasts, it turn out swell.
Pity about the grafitti though.
Maybe for the architect, the one in potrait version would be nice (I am just assuming here).

Cheers.