Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 07:47 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Sunset at a tiny lighthouse
Lens: 68mm Camera: Pentax K-m Photo Location: Neusiedlersee, Austria ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F16 

The weather wasnt that cooperative that day, but i know thats no excuse.
Views and criticism appreciated...

Martin

04-13-2010, 01:25 PM   #2
Veteran Member

This is very nice, but something feels slightly tilted to me. Check your horizon and make sure that it's level. The sun looks a little distracting here too, doesn't really add much to the photo but unfortunately the placement doesn't help you with that. It is nice though.
04-13-2010, 02:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
This is very nice, but something feels slightly tilted to me. Check your horizon and make sure that it's level. The sun looks a little distracting here too, doesn't really add much to the photo but unfortunately the placement doesn't help you with that. It is nice though.
hi, thanks. Yes i had a problem while leveling the picture, since in reality the lighthouse is leaning. I decided to level the horizon of the lake, but now im thinking if i shouldnt level it so the "leaning" lighthouse is straight.
04-13-2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice shot, as jct mentioned it does look like the photo is leaning a little bit. If you could work this out this would be a great picture.

04-14-2010, 10:40 PM   #5

I like this one a lot in spite of technical difficulties. The best way to have improved this would be to keep shooting. move around for other perpectives and changes in the light. As is, the area around the sun is too blown out on the highlights.
04-15-2010, 01:25 AM   #6
Veteran Member

The lighthouse doesn't look straight either, but I can definitely tell that the horizon line at the lake level is not right. It's leaning to the left probably about .35% and it's really visible especially in the center of the photo.
04-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Hey Martin, you seem to have made most of an uncooperative day because the colors in your sunset are fantastic! I also love the fact that the foreground images are silhouetted. The composition is very nice as well - the bright sun doesn't dominate, which is nice. It's force is wonderfully balanced by the solid lighthouse, which draws your eye down into the wonderful reflection in the water. The trees in the foreground are nice too, especially the one that reaches delicately to fill in the upper half of the frame. Overall there's such a nice, peaceful balance here.

I'm not as concerned as the others here with the verticalness. My photographic world is very much prone to falling off the right side of the frame, so I generally don't pick on others for that! The only thing that I wish wasn't there - and it's not a big deal really - is the building to the left of the lighthouse. It's incomplete and it doesn't really add anything to the composition. Well, maybe a little bit, but I can't help but wonder what the photo would look like with it removed, or something else in its place.

In any case, that's it. And it's really just a small detail. It doesn't detract from what you've managed. Well done!

04-20-2010, 06:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The trees look great against that sky and the fact there are people out at the end of the walk adds nice scale. You caught a lovely sunset but the sun got burnt out... which happens unless quite a lot of negative exposure compensation is applied. HDR also helps a lot with these sorts of exposures. From this size it all looks as crisp as it could be (hard to tell). Not much more you could do, IMO for the photo that it is. Thanks for sharing!
04-20-2010, 07:08 PM   #9

Personally I can't see any tilt. The horizon has nothing that must be level. The lighthouse is larger at the base which might be giving an illusion of tilt. vsl3-e, you were there and it seems you feel it could be better. Maybe, but I think it can stand on its own quite well.
04-21-2010, 08:35 AM   #10

Original Poster
thankyou all for your helpful comments, i played around a bit and i guess now the lighthouse seems least tilted.

OLD______________________________________________NEW
04-21-2010, 10:04 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Yes the new is better... the blacks are blacker and there is no longer a tilt...