Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-13-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Cold Flower
Lens: 45mm Camera: K7 Photo Location: Taiwan ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F6.7 

Ok, this time I used some PP and went for a specific effect; cold / chilled / decay. Un-cropped.

04-13-2010, 08:54 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You definitely hit the cold kind of mood for this image, I would definitely say that it conveys what you wanted it to. Although I don't think I really like your crop, the flower should be so much more important than just being in the little left corner of this photo.
04-13-2010, 09:20 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the critique. Here is a more centered crop.

Last edited by drifter; 04-13-2010 at 09:28 PM.
04-15-2010, 10:08 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is a very cool looking shot. (no pun intended there) I like the detail on the flower pedals with the dark and bright blues and they really stand out. However, I would have to disagree about the crop you did. The rule of thirds states that you never want to center the main subject in the center of the image. Now sometimes there are situations that you can break this rule, but this is not one of them. Your first crop with the flower off to the left is much better as it looks more professional. I also really like the PP work you did on this image as well. Even though it is very cold it adds to the image in a very nice way, it makes the photo much more appealing. So other then the crop I really like this shot, it is well composed and the PP work is stunning.

Thanks for sharing, and I hope this helps you.
Cory

04-15-2010, 12:35 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for your detailed critique Tuner571.

I try to follow the rule of thirds about 90% of the time myself and I have to say that I prefer the original shot as well. I'm glad that everyone so far is pleased with the PP effects. Gives me some confidence in what I'm doing.

Thanks again.
04-15-2010, 04:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The crop is very nice, I like that a lot more actually. If you really wanted to enhance the cold feeling (I think it's good now, but if you want to mess with it more) try adding just a bit more blue and upping the contrast as much as you can, it'll really help out with this.
04-16-2010, 10:47 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Tighter tighter tighter! Don't feel so compelled to fit each and every petal into the frame. That flower is part spider web, part veins from some alien creature, and the cool lighting gives it all a chilly, almost sinister feel. No good can come from this flower, so crop it so tightly that the viewer gets sucking into the black hole and whimpers for their mommy!