Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 09:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member
wshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 455
A lone guitarist
Lens: 35mm Camera: K-x Photo Location: Green St, Champaign ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F8 

Need help cropping. Any other critiques welcome too, of course.



Or:



Original, if you think mine above don't work at all and have some other ideas:



Thanks.

04-14-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member
cb750r's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 310
I'd say somewhere between first and second, just a little more space around the head would do it for me personally.
04-14-2010, 10:20 PM   #3
Senior Member
AOShep's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Eastern PA
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 293
Using #1, a little more space above the head. Lop off about half way between the left edge and the guitar case and a simular amount off the bottom.
04-15-2010, 01:23 AM   #4
Pentaxian
jct us101's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Rohnert Park, CA
Posts: 3,700
The second crop is my favorite, I think it works the most for the style of image that it is. I would also recommend maybe a vertical crop with him kind of at the middle of it, but I can only assume that would look good from some mental cropping I did. It looks kind of dull too, more contrast perhaps?

04-15-2010, 09:03 AM   #5
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter
smf's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Midland, MI
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,937
A proposal

Perhaps something like this would work.
Attached Images
 
04-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Tuner571's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Ohio
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,550
Very nice shots here, however, there are a few things that you could do to make them better. Firstly, I would try and add some contrast to the image so that details and shadows pop more. Secondly, I would try and add a little sharpening to the image. It looks like the image is slightly blurry and some sharpening would help that out.

As others have mentioned a tighter crop of the subject would be good as well as it would be a much clearer photo as to the subject. Another thing I would recommend is that if you get to shoot this man again try getting down lower to the ground and on his perspective. So many people see this man from your height and coming down lower would give a much more unique perspective on the person. I hope this helps in your future photographs, but I really like this shot and you did a great job capturing this man in public.

Cory

Last edited by Tuner571; 04-25-2010 at 12:44 PM.
04-15-2010, 11:26 AM   #7
Pentaxian
johnmflores's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Somerville, NJ
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 5,288
If the title is Lone Guitarist then crop it to make him seem as lonely as possible...

The empty storefront behind him helps, so don't crop it out.

The barbershop storefront on the left makes it feel less lonely, so crop it out.

The door on the right makes it feel less lonely, so crop it out.

IMHO, the barren sidewalk + guitarist + empty store = lonely.
04-15-2010, 11:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member
wshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 455
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cb750r Quote
I'd say somewhere between first and second, just a little more space around the head would do it for me personally.
QuoteOriginally posted by AOShep Quote
Using #1, a little more space above the head. Lop off about half way between the left edge and the guitar case and a simular amount off the bottom.
I agree that some more room above his head would be good. I didn't say in the OP, but the one I was leaning towards more was #2, partly for this reason.

QuoteOriginally posted by jct us101 Quote
The second crop is my favorite, I think it works the most for the style of image that it is. I would also recommend maybe a vertical crop with him kind of at the middle of it, but I can only assume that would look good from some mental cropping I did. It looks kind of dull too, more contrast perhaps?
I hadn't thought of using a vertical crop, maybe I'll try it out. Contrast, I don't think can go any higher. I think I have it at +100 in ACR already

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
Perhaps something like this would work.
I think you're going for something like my #1, with more of a focus on the guitarist. I like this crop, more emphasis on the subject.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Very nice shots here however, there are a few things that you could do to make them better. Firstly, I would try and add some contrast to the image so that details and shadows pop more. Secondly, I would try and add a little sharpening to the image. It looks like the image is slightly blurry and some sharpening would help that out. As other of mentioned a tighter crop of the subject would be good as well as it would be a much clearer photo as to the subject. Another I would recommend is that if you get to shoot this man again try getting down lower to the ground and on his perspective. So many people see this man from your height and coming down lower would give a much more unique perspective on the person. I hope this helps in your future photographs, but I really like this shot and you did a great job capturing this man in public.

Cory
Again, I'm a bit surprised that you guys think this needs more contrast... I'll try to bump it up. Good idea dropping low, also. I usually try to do that, but I guess I was more worried about keeping up with the people I was with than taking photos.

04-15-2010, 11:58 AM   #9
Veteran Member
wshi's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Illinois
Posts: 455
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
If the title is Lone Guitarist then crop it to make him seem as lonely as possible...

The empty storefront behind him helps, so don't crop it out.

The barbershop storefront on the left makes it feel less lonely, so crop it out.

The door on the right makes it feel less lonely, so crop it out.

IMHO, the barren sidewalk + guitarist + empty store = lonely.
These were my thoughts exactly when framing the shot, and then in PP later. I tried to include as much empty sidewalk as possible without making it feel like useless space.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
critique, photography
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Nature Lone Tree paulyrichard Post Your Photos! 4 03-26-2010 04:13 PM
Nature Lone Gone Teasels paulyrichard Post Your Photos! 4 03-23-2010 08:57 PM
Nature Lone gull pingflood Post Your Photos! 2 01-10-2010 09:10 PM
Lone Hollyhock Ahab Photo Critique 5 09-26-2009 04:46 PM
Guitarist GLXLR Monthly Photo Contests 0 06-14-2009 11:22 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:41 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top