Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-14-2010, 09:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rasors and Brush
Lens: 50 Camera: KM ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/180s Aperture: F1.7 

This was a two flash set up with one umbrella camera right and one diffused strobe low and slightly camera left. Second day playing with my cactus triggers.

04-14-2010, 10:24 PM   #2

Good exposure and composition. However, the objects in the background are very distracting at that DOF. You want them out of focus but still identifyable. Otherwise lose them.
04-14-2010, 10:36 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ya I think I should have moved the in focus element higher in the frame, and that would have reduced the level of OOF of the other rasors and brush.
04-15-2010, 01:24 AM   #4
Pentaxian

This is a very tall photo, and I mean that in the way that I had to scroll halfway down the page to see what your subject was. Cropping is definitely your friend here, you don't want all bokeh and no subject, believe me.

04-15-2010, 09:56 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I really like the composition of this photo, but the background is a little plain for me liking. As also I like the colors in your photo as well as it is very clean looking and nothing pops out alot that is not the main subject. Another thing I would do is bump up the aperture so the DOF is a little bit larger but not to much to expose background detail. This is because to me there is just to much out of focus it it bothers me a little. I would also say that I really like the lighting you used on this shot. It is very even and it baths the photo well, it's not to harsh to cause distraction and it not to dim that I can't see the subject. In the end I do like like it even though it is a bit tall, but overall I believe that its a very good image and thanks for sharing.

Cory