Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2010, 09:57 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Turret, Huwei Fort
Lens: 16mm Camera: K7 Photo Location: Danshui, Taiwan ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F5.6 

With the processing I wanted to bring out the texture and contrast and add some dramatic tones and hopefully create an interesting Architecture / Abstract image. I think I prefer the color version but it's hard to say.

04-15-2010, 03:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the shot and it looks like a very cool place to go shooting. However, there are a few things to work on. Firstly, the sky is really blown out and I would try and fix that by cropping the top of the photo down slightly to remove the sky.

Secondly, I would crop in the sides just slightly to get rid of the edges of the concrete circle. This would clean up the edges alittle and make the photo more appealing.
I would like to say that I really like the color version the best, with the PP work that you added it really does bring out the textures and colors in the concrete and that looks really good IMO. In the end I really like the photo, you did a great job capturing it and I hope my comments help you out.

Cory
04-15-2010, 04:24 PM   #3
Pentaxian

The black and white is very nice, the color one just doesn't look right, and it looks really like an attempt to save a photo that just can't happen. The black and white is the saving of this photo really, but get rid of the sky because you're not going to save that, and you really don't even need it for the black and white version.
04-15-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks for the comments guys. The picture does look better without the sky. I didn't even notice how blown out it was, so thanks for that. A trimmed the edges a touch too.

Differing opinions on the colors so here is another comparison.

04-15-2010, 05:38 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Eh, I don't mind the sky as it is not a prominent feature, but including it puts the turret into perspective. Otherwise, who knows? And I like the color version for the same reason.
04-15-2010, 08:54 PM   #6

The color version gives it an almost sepia tone which helps bring out the texture more than the B&W. The crop looks really good.
04-16-2010, 10:12 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Go all the way and cut out the trees completely, even cutting off the top of the subject. Then you'll end up with a geometric abstract and people will stare at it trying to discern scale and figure/ground relationship. Pretty cool!
04-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
I really like the shot and it looks like a very cool place to go shooting. However, there are a few things to work on. Firstly, the sky is really blown out and I would try and fix that by cropping the top of the photo down slightly to remove the sky.

Secondly, I would crop in the sides just slightly to get rid of the edges of the concrete circle. This would clean up the edges alittle and make the photo more appealing.
I would like to say that I really like the color version the best, with the PP work that you added it really does bring out the textures and colors in the concrete and that looks really good IMO. In the end I really like the photo, you did a great job capturing it and I hope my comments help you out.

Cory
Interesting observation, and I concur, based on Tuner's comment.
For me personally, I would prefer the b&w version in the uncropped one.
As for the cropped picture, I vote for the colour one as gives it an almost rustic appearance which helps bring out the texture more than its b&w counterpart.
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.

Cheers.