Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-16-2010, 12:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

WOWJessie.jpg
Lens: 90mm Camera: k10d Photo Location: my makeup artists apartment ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/45s Aperture: F3.5 

ok this is really:

iso 250
1/50th

but i don't have those options in the drop down.

its just a shot for my makeup artists portfolio

peace

04-16-2010, 12:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to let you know that your photo did not show up. If you are trying to get the photo here from flickr, you just need to copy the photo's URL and paste it in the box that appears when you click on the picture in the post box.

That sounds really confusing, but I hope that helps.
04-16-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
Banned

what a lovely expression, and beautiful white teeth.
04-16-2010, 01:50 PM   #4
Ash
Community Manager

Good one MJB.
My only critique on her expression is the forehead wrinkles brought out with the raising of her eyebrows. The square-on shoulders is a no-no to me, but isn't a killer in this instance. I'm not sure the backlighting was all that necessary - without it and perhaps a more textured, directional fill-light the result may be a more appealing portrait, but for all intensive purposes this one works as is.

04-16-2010, 02:05 PM   #5
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Good one MJB.
My only critique on her expression is the forehead wrinkles brought out with the raising of her eyebrows. The square-on shoulders is a no-no to me, but isn't a killer in this instance. I'm not sure the backlighting was all that necessary - without it and perhaps a more textured, directional fill-light the result may be a more appealing portrait, but for all intensive purposes this one works as is.
why do you have a problem with the wrinkles on the forehead from the expression? shes human, that happens. I didnt even notice till you mentioned it. I think thats fine the way it is. its natural and real. I cant comment on the lighting though, im no studio photographer.
04-16-2010, 02:15 PM   #6
Ash
Community Manager

QuoteOriginally posted by séamuis Quote
why do you have a problem with the wrinkles on the forehead from the expression? shes human, that happens. I didnt even notice till you mentioned it. I think thats fine the way it is. its natural and real. I cant comment on the lighting though, im no studio photographer.
Well those are not age wrinkles (I didn't think I'd have to explain that...) and can easily be smoothed out by a slightly less tight facial expression. To me, something like that makes all the difference between a good and a great portrait.
04-16-2010, 02:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

There are so many "portraits" these days with models sporting blank and expressionless masks or any one from a number of "canned" expression - sexy, sultry, aloof, deep thought (pick one). They aren't portraits at all, but rather plastic dolls that are posed in costumes - you may as well throw a tilt-shift lens on them and make them look like you could put them in your pocket.

I'm no studio photographer myself, but kudos for putting a little of the subject's personality into the shot. Just from her expression and style you get a sense of what she's like and what she'll be like to work with.

Contrary to popular belief, not all pictures say a thousand words. But this one does.
04-16-2010, 02:26 PM   #8
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by johnmflores Quote
There are so many "portraits" these days with models sporting blank and expressionless masks or any one from a number of "canned" expression - sexy, sultry, aloof, deep thought (pick one). They aren't portraits at all, but rather plastic dolls that are posed in costumes - you may as well throw a tilt-shift lens on them and make them look like you could put them in your pocket.

I'm no studio photographer myself, but kudos for putting a little of the subject's personality into the shot. Just from her expression and style you get a sense of what she's like and what she'll be like to work with.

Contrary to popular belief, not all pictures say a thousand words. But this one does.
very well said.

04-16-2010, 03:57 PM   #9
Ash
Community Manager

No disagreement there. Certainly personality in the model speaks volumes and adds another level of appeal to the portrait. My point was that minor details do count in portraiture as they are both conspicuous and of significant importance to the overall look of the model.

Posing is a skill in itself and from what I've seen, portrait photographers like devisor on this forum excel in this aspect and bring out the absolute best in their models, in terms of both character and physical beauty.
04-16-2010, 04:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Your rim light has gone nuclear. Otherwise very nice portrait.
04-17-2010, 01:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Just a thought, personally, I don't mind the wrinkles... I find when people smile they get wrinkles...

BUT since this is being shot for a make-up artists portfolio, would you not want to get rid of the wrinkles, as when you hired for make-up you are often trying to hide imperfections.

A little smoothing in PS would fix that right up. and well that is not the artist's skill, it is still the impression you want to give?!? Maybe / Maybe Not