Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2010, 04:32 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Bleeding Heart
Lens: 300 mm Camera: Pentax KX Photo Location: Indiana ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/750s Aperture: F5.8 

This is a picture of my wifes favorite plant it is called a bleeding heart. They are an impresive plant at full bloom. Any feedback is welcome.

Attached Images

04-17-2010, 05:14 PM   #2
Veteran Member

It's just a teeny bit out of focus, which unfortunately doesn't help you very much. I think that you might have been trying to focus with too small of a depth of field for your angle, because it looks like the top of it is in perfect photos, or at least is close. That little branch or whatever on the bottom left doesn't belong there though, see if you can crop that out, and I would suggest trying to bump up the contrast and brightness a bit to make this photo stand out more.
04-18-2010, 01:31 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I like the idea of your photo a lot as it really does look like a bleeding heart, but that are a few things that are hurting this picture. One is that the photo is out of focus and that always hurts a photo. I don’t know if you were trying to do this intentionally but this just isn’t working at all. Another thing that is really hurting the shot is that it is rather dull. So if you bump up the saturation and contrast I believe that this shot will look much better. Other than those things I really do like it, just go back and try and get a sharper photo before trying the things that I just suggested to you.

Last edited by Tuner571; 04-25-2010 at 11:08 AM.
04-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #4

Probably should have used a shorter lens to start with. 300mm is overkill on a close up. A little fill light or reflector to get rid of the shadow coming across the pink.

04-20-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hey Tuner -- I see a lot of your posts like this, many hundreds in fact. So this time I'm not going to critique the photo, I'm going to critiques the post, OK? Maybe it will help you improve your critiques so that all the people you are trying to help will in fact be helped and not hindered.

P.S. I know you are doing this just to post as many identikit comments as possible for the contest. But maybe after the contest is over you will take what I say to heart. Hmmm... heart. Yes, that is the subject here.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
I like the idea of your photo a lot as it really does look like a bleeding heart, but that are a few things that are hurting this picture.
Of course it looks like a heart -- that's the subject of the photo for goodness sake! He's not asking you to say if it looks like a heart or not!

One is that the photo is out of focus and that always hurts a photo.
No, it doesn't always hurt a photo. It does hurt this photo, yes, but many other shots might be just great out of focus. I notice you made the same comment on an absolutely fantastic piece of art in another thread. And that is annoying, since you might dampen the enthusiasm of someone who was on the right track, who chose to ignore what some take as a fundamental principle. These things are there to be challenged.

But, yeah, not this time. This time the flower should be in focus.

I don’t know if you were trying to do this intentionally but this just isn’t working at all.
Um, you just said that. Way to pad out your post!

Another thing that is really hurting the shot is that it is rather dull. The color is great and some contrast could probably do this photo some wonders.
"The shot is rather dull but the colour is great". See, I said the same thing in 18 fewer words.

So if you bump up the saturation and contrast I believe that this shot will look much better.
Yes, you already said that about the contrast. We got you the first time! But why have you changed your mind about the colour? Just one moment ago you said it was "great". And why do you think bumping the contrast will help a shot that is irredeemably out of focus?

Other than those things I really do like it, just go back and try and get a sharper photo before trying the things that I just suggested to you.
Completely unnecessary verbiage with only one purpose: not to help the poster, but to help yourself. This is so tedious. Please give up.
04-20-2010, 07:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you all for the feedback i am new to the dslr world everything up until this point has been a point and shoot so any advice or suggestions are appreciated again thanks to all
04-21-2010, 07:02 PM   #7

I've found that when using my 70-300mm for close ups I need to stop down as much as I can to get acceptable depth of field. You had plenty of shutter speed here to work with. You could easily have shot this at f/11 or f/16.

Another key for these close ups (and everything really) is to get a pleasing background for your flower. Pay attention to what's behind your subject as much as anything else in the composition. The drab brown here isn't very complimentary to your pink.

Here's a quick example I found from my collection with what I consider a nice background (and a bad example of getting enough DoF ).

04-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks i will try that next time i see i have to put alot more thought into the surroundings as well as just the subject thanks for the feedback
04-23-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sorry to bump this 2 day old post, but I wanted to say that it's a nice pic teatma,
In my opinion the softness works with a flower like the bleeding heart, which I have tried photographing before. They aren't always the easiest plant to work with.
Don't worry about the comment on the background. Although it's true to a point it isn't in your case... since the flower only looks right at certain angles.

About the only thing that I'd do is bump the contrast just a hair.

If I remember correctly, those that I've photographed have been 5 or so in a row on a stem. Are your wife's like that?
For all I know they all are, however I rarely see them, so I just don't know.
04-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote
Hey Tuner -- I see a lot of your posts like this, many hundreds in fact. So this time I'm not going to critique the photo, I'm going to critiques the post, OK? Maybe it will help you improve your critiques so that all the people you are trying to help will in fact be helped and not hindered.

P.S. I know you are doing this just to post as many identikit comments as possible for the contest. But maybe after the contest is over you will take what I say to heart. Hmmm... heart. Yes, that is the subject here.

Of course it looks like a heart -- that's the subject of the photo for goodness sake! He's not asking you to say if it looks like a heart or not!

No, it doesn't always hurt a photo. It does hurt this photo, yes, but many other shots might be just great out of focus. I notice you made the same comment on an absolutely fantastic piece of art in another thread. And that is annoying, since you might dampen the enthusiasm of someone who was on the right track, who chose to ignore what some take as a fundamental principle. These things are there to be challenged.

But, yeah, not this time. This time the flower should be in focus.

Um, you just said that. Way to pad out your post!

"The shot is rather dull but the colour is great". See, I said the same thing in 18 fewer words.

Yes, you already said that about the contrast. We got you the first time! But why have you changed your mind about the colour? Just one moment ago you said it was "great". And why do you think bumping the contrast will help a shot that is irredeemably out of focus?

Completely unnecessary verbiage with only one purpose: not to help the poster, but to help yourself. This is so tedious. Please give up.

I agree with this post 100%. Not only is Tuner doing this but jct is also doing this. They both reply to each and every photo post that they can find...some photos require no critique that I've seen. Every single post that these two members are putting up are basically the same thing over and over and even though I have no problem with either member I feel like they aren't helping at all with their critiques and just posting for sake of winning the contest.
04-24-2010, 06:06 AM   #11

Original Poster
Yes the plant has many long stems with about 5 to 10 flowers on each stem that hang down from the stem. thanks for the feedback little laker