Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-18-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Girl Scout Hike
Camera: S2 Pro ISO: 100 

Yes...I'm the weird dad with the camera!
Despite the tree growing out of the kids heads, I like this one. This is out of the camera. No PP, not even cropping. How do I make the next one better?

04-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You have the Fuji S2 Pro? I once thought about getting one of those, very nice cameras. This is a very nice photo, I'm not sure but I didn't think that the S2 Pro had the Super CCD, but this photo sure looks like it has a lot more dynamic range than most cameras that I have seen. Anyways, away from all that techonobabble, this is a very cute photo.
04-18-2010, 04:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the props.

I'm about to jack my thread to brag about my camera....

This is the same camera I took the B&W syrup pic with.
I love my Pentax 35mm cameras but there's a reason the S2-5 Pro was the wedding photographers sweetheart.
It does have the "Super CCD". This one had the infamous defective CCD when I got it but I was able to get one of the last upgraded sensors left installed by FujiFilm USA. That ship has now sailed because they're gone.
The dynamic range and color rendition are unbelievable. I had my brother in law's D200 for a while and although the newer Nikon is a much better machine, my S2 takes better portraits. The dynamic range is as close to film as I know of without HDR. The S2 is based on a Nikon N/F80, a consumer camera and has a 6.2MP sensor (12.1 interpolated).

There is a caveat though and that is, it's really easy to take a bad picture with it. The TTL flash is horrible and the auto focus is iffy. Also anything above ISO 100 is noisy and there is no manual lens setting so the old AI lenses won't couple with the meter.

I'm working on getting an S5 Pro now which is based on a D200. Same sensor, I think, but better lens compatibility, TTL and much better body.

PHEW!! That was embarrassing!!

Any more criticisms, positive or negative?
04-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gashog Quote
Thanks for the props.

I'm about to jack my thread to brag about my camera....

This is the same camera I took the B&W syrup pic with.
I love my Pentax 35mm cameras but there's a reason the S2-5 Pro was the wedding photographers sweetheart.
It does have the "Super CCD". This one had the infamous defective CCD when I got it but I was able to get one of the last upgraded sensors left installed by FujiFilm USA. That ship has now sailed because they're gone.
The dynamic range and color rendition are unbelievable. I had my brother in law's D200 for a while and although the newer Nikon is a much better machine, my S2 takes better portraits. The dynamic range is as close to film as I know of without HDR. The S2 is based on a Nikon N/F80, a consumer camera and has a 6.2MP sensor (12.1 interpolated).

There is a caveat though and that is, it's really easy to take a bad picture with it. The TTL flash is horrible and the auto focus is iffy. Also anything above ISO 100 is noisy and there is no manual lens setting so the old AI lenses won't couple with the meter.

I'm working on getting an S5 Pro now which is based on a D200. Same sensor, I think, but better lens compatibility, TTL and much better body.

PHEW!! That was embarrassing!!

Any more criticisms, positive or negative?
I know someone who has the S5 pro now, and I agree that if I ever had a chance to get that camera to add to my collection I probably would instantly. It's really a nice camera, but it does have it's problems. The person told me that the autofocus and overall camera processing power is very slow when the D200 is very fast, but the quality of the photos really makes up for it.

04-18-2010, 06:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yup my BIL's D200 is fast. Flip...flip...flip...flip! and right to memory.
The S5 is a dog by comparison but it is a whole different tool.
I enjoyed my time with the D200.
I prefer the colors from the FujiFilm sensor so the aging D200 body with the slow Fuji electronics is something I can happily live with.
04-18-2010, 07:05 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your subjects are well lit and look quite natural. Their postures are interesting to me: one with hands in pockets, one with arms around the other. The lighting looks fine. The background is blurred a bit but the subjects are dead sharp. You've included a good deal of the surround to get context for the girls. So... what's not to like?

About the only thing I would do is grab the saturation fader, set it to red, and pull down the colour of the jacket before it burns out my eyeballs.

Great shot but... this is Pentax Forums?
04-18-2010, 07:06 PM   #7
Inactive Account

S5 Pro

I work at a commercial photo studio and we use the S5- pro. I like it. it is a comfortable body for my hands. Maybe a little on the big side including the radio trigger on the hot-shoe. But the camera is a work horse. The color is great as is the nikon lenses that we are using. I use this camera 40 hours a week.

As a note I do still love my Pentax k200d. It is a great camera for all of my personal photography. I do alot of nature and wildlife shooting. I also do some street photography. I would not want to carry the S5- Pro around my neck all day.

04-18-2010, 07:26 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rparmar Quote

About the only thing I would do is grab the saturation fader, set it to red, and pull down the colour of the jacket before it burns out my eyeballs.

Great shot but... this is Pentax Forums?
That red jacket is loud! I thought it was blown out at first.
Yeah Pentax Forum...The FinePix is my only DSLR though.

QuoteOriginally posted by alhpro Quote

I would not want to carry the S5- Pro around my neck all day.
I know, it's not light. I love that rubber body though.

Thanks for the comments.
04-19-2010, 03:36 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Wow, this is a stunning photo! I think its time to dump the K20D and pick up one of these because this is a great shot. Your subject is in sharp focus and the lighting is perfect as well. If you don't mind me asking was it cloudy out that day or did you use some sort of fill flash?

Thanks,
Cory
04-19-2010, 04:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tuner571 Quote
Wow, this is a stunning photo! I think its time to dump the K20D and pick up one of these because this is a great shot. Your subject is in sharp focus and the lighting is perfect as well. If you don't mind me asking was it cloudy out that day or did you use some sort of fill flash?

Thanks,
Cory
DOH!! I'll trade you even up!!!

Seriously, it's not the camera. This is 6 mega-pixel, smaller then DX format 2002 technology. What made this shot was diffuse lighting from a low contrast overcast day, extended DR and careful fill flash. Not to mention the perfect backdrop and my beautiful models. My zoom lens is extremely sharp also. I don't know if it's just my example but the plastic kit lens I use with this camera is on the money every time. I looked it up on Ken Rockwells infamous lens review page and his reaction was something like "wholly molly this thing is sharp"!! That was pretty much my reaction once I got the camera settings down.

Anyway, I'm very flattered by the compliments. I am my biggest critic and am seldom satisfied with my work. So thank you all for your positive feedback. I am very happy with this picture.
04-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #11

Photos: Gallery
Great picture. I did notice while I was scrolling that it looked better cropping a litle off the top to get rid of the white sky splotch. And closer to the top of their heads helps with the tree branch head problem. All in all nice photo in the "wish it was mine" category.
04-22-2010, 10:39 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Let me add to the choruses of "very nice" Yes, very nice! The lighting is spot on perfect, great subtle use of fill flash. I see a lot of high-contrast overtly saturated work these days that it's quite refreshing to see something so subtly-rendered.

Credit to the unique camera, but to the photographer for extracting the best out of it!