Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2010, 09:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

'A moment on Cuba Street, Wellington'
Lens: 21mm Camera: K-7 Photo Location: New Zealand ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F4.5 

I can't decide whether this image is really good or utter rubbish. Please help, would like to know if you see what I see. Cheers.

'A moment on Cuba Street, Wellington'

04-19-2010, 09:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't know really. Personally I really like it, but there are a few things that I don't like about it. Let's start with those, it's like ripping off a band aid, do it fast and it won't hurt as bad. First off, the guy on the right on the skateboard is annoying, and he should be cropped out if possible. Secondly everyone in your photo is too dark. I can't see them! Now to the good parts (that wasn't so bad, was it?). The black and white conversion is wonderful, one of the best that I've seen in a while, and your photo is really interesting. It has a ton of interesting subjects, some great light, and a beautiful pattern that you captured in the bricks on the ground. Street is a difficult subject, and it looks like you have a talent for it already.
04-20-2010, 02:44 AM   #3
A-z
Forum Member

I find this pic really interesting - i personally like the skateboarder coming in from the edge next to the trail the woman leaves behind her - bizarre! I also really like her head being in the 'o' on the bus. And I like the guy walking out of frame on the left, i think these three people balance each other really well.

I think the woman with a water bottle and the guy with headphones spoil the composition and clutter the scene - just the 3 people would be great!
04-20-2010, 03:10 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, despite it not offering all that much in terms of creativity or artistic flair, it tells a story and portrays it clearly with detail and apt B&W work.

04-20-2010, 04:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Camus, the only thing that caught my eye was the trail on the ground that led me to the woman. Otherwise, to be quite blunt, I find this street image very bland. It looks a little to much like a random snap.
04-20-2010, 05:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would have to say the same as Carl, but then again I find 99% of the street shots posted here (and elsewhere -- not to pick on Pentax Forums!) to be completely boring. It's not that I cannot like "street", I just think it takes a lot more patience than people give it. In fact, I would guess that if I shot for eight hours I'd get one or two good shots, where the moment really gells. Or maybe I'd need to shoot for eight days.

Ask yourself what you are trying to achieve. Are you attempting a pure document? Is it to capture relationships of space and form? Is it to find incongruities, humour? Is it an anthropological study of the human animal? Is it to find cute chicks with tight jeans?

This to me is just random people mostly out of the prime area of interest in the frame, doing random things.

But that mark on the ground is interesting. I would have made that the highlight, maybe got down on my knees to shoot along and up it at whoever happened to come into frame.

(I wouldn't do that in this city, mind you, or I'd be in trouble.)

Hope this somehow helps. If you are interested in this sort of discussion maybe the thread For Illusion Isn't The Opposite Of Reality would be useful to you.
04-21-2010, 08:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fractal Quote
Camus, the only thing that caught my eye was the trail on the ground that led me to the woman. Otherwise, to be quite blunt, I find this street image very bland. It looks a little to much like a random snap.
Interesting observation, and I concur.
MAybe by cropping out the person on the left will make this picture better. On the other hand, crop both right and left, so that this picture tells the story of the person leaving the trail on the walkway.
Just my 2 cents worth of opinion.