Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 01:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

A few photos from San Francisco
Lens: 18-55mm Camera: Pentax *ist DS 

It never hurts to have someone tell you what you're doing wrong, although these photos are a year old I'd love to hear some input on them from some of the members here.

04-21-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Inactive Account

I love the last photo!! I love photos of signs and things like that. I love the bw conversion here as well. I do not like the others as well though. They all seem to have alot of negative space.

The first dwarfs the blimp. I would cut the sky in almost half.

The 2nd photo I would crop off the part at the bottom. I don't think it adds much to the photo.

The 3rd i don't really like the placement of the building. It seems like it was shot head-on. I am a fulltime portrait photographer. I use 45 degree angles all the time. I shoot alot of buildings this same way. It adds depth and dimension to a photo. Also the sky at the top is a little distracting.

Like I said i loved the last photo. The placement and the conversion as well as exposure are spot on. I would hang that photo on the wall.

I hope I have not been to blunt or harsh. I expect the same from everyone on the forum when I post a photo.

Keep taking great photos!! Andrew
04-21-2010, 06:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alhpro Quote
I love the last photo!! I love photos of signs and things like that. I love the bw conversion here as well. I do not like the others as well though. They all seem to have alot of negative space.

The first dwarfs the blimp. I would cut the sky in almost half.

The 2nd photo I would crop off the part at the bottom. I don't think it adds much to the photo.

The 3rd i don't really like the placement of the building. It seems like it was shot head-on. I am a fulltime portrait photographer. I use 45 degree angles all the time. I shoot alot of buildings this same way. It adds depth and dimension to a photo. Also the sky at the top is a little distracting.

Like I said i loved the last photo. The placement and the conversion as well as exposure are spot on. I would hang that photo on the wall.

I hope I have not been to blunt or harsh. I expect the same from everyone on the forum when I post a photo.

Keep taking great photos!! Andrew
No, thank you so much for your input, I agree with you on everything that you said. That was a unique angle on the building that I tried, although I didn't like it much myself (I have more from a 45% angle and other angles too of it) and I agree with you on the bottom of the second one, I hadn't noticed that before but it's not really needed. I kind of liked the blimp one the way it was because of how the clouds dwarfed the blimp, considering how big it was too, but I'll try your crop suggestion too! I think that the last one was my favorite.
04-21-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ok...the first shot is a classic example of trying to catch something you're eye sees but the camera can't. Throw away, unfortunately.
The second one I really like. Just crop out the deck.
#3 is interesting but the perspective simulates almost barrel distortion like taper.
The last one I totally want to see in color!