Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
crane and building
Lens: tamron 70-300 mm Camera: k20d 

Could somebody do a critique on this picture. I like taking pics with available light and I know this one is with a shake (not using a tripod) but are my settings correct?

ISO - 560
Aperture f/4.0
Exposure 3
EV +2
Focal length 70 mm
no flash

If you were to take the shot what setting would you use and what would be the result of your shot?

04-21-2010, 08:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well, if I couldn't find a tripod I would either find something sturdy to brace myself against or something to set the camera on, because an exposure this long handheld is just not going to work at any settings. If you had a larger aperture lens, then it would help out a little bit, or you could raise the ISO up a lot more, but pretty much if you don't have a tripod or something that you can set your camera on, then you're not going to get a sharp photo here.
04-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
i know I should have used a sturdier prop for a tripod but if there was no shake would this picture do for a low light setting?
04-21-2010, 09:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Well your hypothetical doesn't really work since you're always going to have shake at that shutter speed, but I'll humor you anyways. I think it would look great if there was no shake, the framing and exposure looks good and there's a good subject in it too. You did cut off the back of the crane though, and all of that stuff on the bottom of this photo isn't really adding much to it either.

04-22-2010, 05:41 AM   #5

Original Poster
@jct
is this any better, I'm not sure if there is still a shake but took your advice to have a bigger aperture (used f/2) here, 50mm and trimmed the destruction below

04-22-2010, 01:15 PM   #6
Veteran Member

The framing is better on teh crane and there is a lot less shake (although it's still quite blurry, I wouldn't want to frame this or even really print it out) but tehre's still some stuff on the bottom that is distracting and not really visible or in focus enough to add anything, and that building on the right should just go entirely. It's a good step up though.
04-22-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
Veteran Member

For night scene shots always used tripod. If there is none find a table or a railling or some solid flat surface to prop the camera for taking night scene like the picture shown by the first post. If nothing else is available, prop your elbow to your chest and try taking it while holding your breath.

The second picture is much better than the first because :
1) slightly sharper than the first picture
2) picture composition (framing) is better

Further improvement (others than what jct us101 mentioned) is maybe zoom more on the tower crane to make it the main subject without the black sky above.

Cheers.

04-23-2010, 07:24 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I really like the subject with this shot, but I don't agree that opening the lens is going to make things better. Yes, it will allow a faster shutter speed but your image is also going to get much softer as well. I noticed that you said that you did not use a tripod because you did not have one, that’s fine, we all run into problems like that.

However, what you wanted to do here is lay the camera on a table or railing so that the camera is perfectly still. Then set you aperture to whatever you like because since you are no longer holding the camera there is no camera shake to worry about. Then put your camera on a 2 second delay, compose your shot, push the shutter button, let the camera take the photo and there you have it. A photo that is very sharp because you stopped the lens down and since you were not holding the camera, no movement worked its way into the photo.

Other then that I really like the composition on this subject, especially the second one. With those lights on the crane’s main arm you could get some really cool looking photos.

Hope this helps,
Cory

Last edited by Tuner571; 04-25-2010 at 08:59 PM.
04-25-2010, 08:00 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxie Quote
For night scene shots always used tripod.
Yep, that sums it up. While you might be able to get by in individual situations by putting the camera on a convenient surface, that option does not always exist. In general you need three-legged support device. You can start by reading this reviews thread. I use a Slik Sprint Pro II which is lightweight yet well made and cost me only 70 pounds sterling. Of course one can pay a lot more and get something a lot sturdier, but this is excellent value.